Sign in to follow this  

cam chain replacement

Sorry, I tried searching but couldn't come up with the answer to:

What gaskets do I need when I replace the cam chain on my 08 wr250.

So far I figured the tools and parts I need are:

cam chain

cam chain tensioner gasket

flywheel puller

torque wrench

Do I need anything else. Is there a gasket to replace when you remove the flywheel?

Thanks.

Tim

If your careful you should be able to reuse all of the gaskets unless you are removing the cylinder head and cylinder. :)

Not sure about the 08 but you might need a #30 or t30 torx bit too. You really should be able to reuse all those gaskets. Make sure you leave the flywheel off and that side cover until you get the new chain on your cams that way you can be sure that the chain is correctly guided around your all your sprockets. If the chain gets too loose while putting it on your cams it will fall off the crank sprocket a F things up. Good luck.

You will need:

* cam chain

* cam chain damper (the one that the tensioner pushes on) I recomend anyways

* flywheel puller

* flywheel holder to keep it from turning while pulling it off

* Torque wrench for 7.2 foot pounds

* Be careful while pulling tensioner, side cover, and valve cover off and should be able to reuse these gaskets

* You don't have to pull the cylinder to change cam chain so you don't need the head gaskets unless you are putting in new piston and rings

* t30 torx wrench to pull the stator out of the way

* Manual - as it will walk you through everything and give proper torque specs

* Be sure to do the tensioner exactly like the manual says too or it will put too much tension on the chain and not let the engine rotate properly :)

I know that its only an 08 but I would get a new gasket for the side cover and the tensioner. That little gasket on the tensioner can easily tear and if it does, it will leak oil. Cheap Insurance...

I redid the ignition cover gasket as well as the tensioner and its gasket. You don't need to but if you tear them you're SOL, so I figured would have an extra one on hand. Probably don't *need* to switch out the tensioner yet but it woudln't hurt if you did.

You will need:

* cam chain

* cam chain damper (the one that the tensioner pushes on) I recomend anyways

* flywheel puller

* flywheel holder to keep it from turning while pulling it off

* Torque wrench for 7.2 foot pounds

* Be careful while pulling tensioner, side cover, and valve cover off and should be able to reuse these gaskets

* You don't have to pull the cylinder to change cam chain so you don't need the head gaskets unless you are putting in new piston and rings

* t30 torx wrench to pull the stator out of the way

* Manual - as it will walk you through everything and give proper torque specs

* Be sure to do the tensioner exactly like the manual says too or it will put too much tension on the chain and not let the engine rotate properly :)

Thanks a lot for this list. I didn't realize that I needed a #30 torx or a flywheel holder. That would have sucked to get it all apart and not have everything to finish.

Will this flywheel holder work: http://www.pitposse.com/rospho.html

Also to change the damper, do you need to take anything else off, or can you get to it in the same steps as it takes to just change the chain?

I redid the ignition cover gasket as well as the tensioner and its gasket. You don't need to but if you tear them you're SOL, so I figured would have an extra one on hand. Probably don't *need* to switch out the tensioner yet but it woudln't hurt if you did.

Thanks, I will get the gaskets just in case they rip. They are cheap enough anyway.

Thanks a lot for this list. I didn't realize that I needed a #30 torx or a flywheel holder. That would have sucked to get it all apart and not have everything to finish.

Will this flywheel holder work: http://www.pitposse.com/rospho.html

Also to change the damper, do you need to take anything else off, or can you get to it in the same steps as it takes to just change the chain?

Not used that flywheel holder, but it should do the trick. The damper slides in and out by the crank, you just kinda have to wiggle it in carefully :)

should be easy i did mine watch out for those c clips. they can fall into the motor and the cam come out easyest if you lift them at an angle with the sprocket side at a down word angle

How often are you guys changing out your tensioners??? and why?

Others may disagree with this but I ran my sons for about 140 hrs and never replaced it. I replace the top end every 30 hrs along with the timing chain the cylinder every 60 hrs and just check my valve clearance and inspect the tensioner every 30hrs when I'm doing the top end. If this helps at all my son races intermediate/b class and rides quite aggressivly. Just my .02 :)

You don't have to have a flywheel holder. If you have an impact driver it will do the trick. I have done mine several times and I have never even seen a flywheel holder.

Others may disagree with this but I ran my sons for about 140 hrs and never replaced it. I replace the top end every 30 hrs along with the timing chain the cylinder every 60 hrs and just check my valve clearance and inspect the tensioner every 30hrs when I'm doing the top end. If this helps at all my son races intermediate/b class and rides quite aggressivly. Just my .02 :)

I agree here. I always check to make sure it's operating smoothly. 05 YZ250f with many hours and I have never replaced my tensioner.

You don't have to have a flywheel holder. If you have an impact driver it will do the trick. I have done mine several times and I have never even seen a flywheel holder.

THanks a lot. That will save me from buying one.

Do you use a manual or a motorized impact driver? What do you do when you are going to tighten it again?

I use a battery operated impact gun. When I put it back on I use the same gun and just make sure it's on tight. If you just let it go crazy on the bolt it will break it so be carefull.

I found this video using a similar flywheel puller

http://offroadvideos.magnify.net/video/Motorcycle-bottom-end-rebuild

someone posted that it made quite the bang when it came off. I experienced the same thing, it was on pretty dang tight! the video edits out the part where it goes "bang" and shows it just coming off oh sooooo easy, yeah right! btw, the nut on the flywheel puller is a 24mm.

ok, time to install the 290 kit, replace the camchain, the put on the head with new valves and such.

hopefully I'll have all this back together again before my suspension gets back in.

On the wr the stator is on the cover. Not the case like the yz's. Also the wr uses a different flywheel puller.

thanks meyer1son, out of all the researched posts I've ever seen, none ever mentioned what you just said. I just got to that part of my wr recently and there was no torx .....