Sign in to follow this  

New 09 300xcw ride report

Ok first of all this bike is simply awesome. I am coming off a 06 crf450r. Its been years since I have ridden a two stroke and this bike is great. I bought the bike a day before I went to San Felipe Mexico for the 250. First off the suspension is great out of the box better than my 450. The only thing is I kept bottoming out the front in the horrendous whoops. So I might be due for heavier springs in the front. The power was great but bogged a little in the deep sand and thats at wide open throttle. I noticed that around 45 to 50 miles an hour in 5th the bike was hunting for the right rpm and was real jerky. I put the green power spring in and it seemed to mellow the surging out. Maybe it was a jetting issue im not sure. I bent the front rim hitting a rock at about 45 mph and now it looks like an egg. Any suggestions please let me know.

I've noticed that surging on my 09 300 as well. When the weather cools down the surging stops so I'm thinking it's a jetting issue.

the surging is a jetting issue, to rich, i've found the N2ZJ needles on the second clip, 162 main, 38 pilot and 2 turns on the are screw work well at 1000-3000 feet at around 50-70 F.

also try removing the optional pwoervalve spring, it actually smooth's out the powerband, the green and yellow spring restrict the top end a fair bit without improving the bottom, works best is very slick conditions, the red is nice, but i prefer no spring.

the surging is a jetting issue, to rich, i've found the N2ZJ needles on the second clip, 162 main, 38 pilot and 2 turns on the are screw work well at 1000-3000 feet at around 50-70 F.

also try removing the optional pwoervalve spring, it actually smooth's out the powerband, the green and yellow spring restrict the top end a fair bit without improving the bottom, works best is very slick conditions, the red is nice, but i prefer no spring.

No spring??? Is that Healthy for the bike? I have the red spring in now. If I take the colored spring, what will that do to performance?

Thanks for the jetting tip, I'm riding similar temps and elevations. That's interesting about running outer spring only on your power valve. I've heard some people say they find that the red spring smooths out the power (contrary to what I would expect). Your experience with no spring smoothing out power is consistent with those who find the red spring smoothes it out. Maybe less spring tension equals smoother power.

No spring?

Sheese I havent even thought about that. When you say no spring....There is two in there. You talking about removing any colored spring and leaving in tha other one?

thats the second word of no spring at all that I have this week. Prior to that I have never heard of no spring at all......

running the larger outer spring, but not the inner spring, the engines run's a lot smoother from idle up, break's traction a lot more easily however, a crack of the throttle at 60 kays (40 MP/h) can easily send the back end into a powerslide on the wrong surface, the power is a lot smoother, but also a fair bit snappier, so it can be more challenging to maintain traction on slick surfaces, when there's traction however you can lauch out of a corner in 3ed just above idle and she'll pull out of it very smoothly, right up into the mid and top with no sudden surges, i find it a lot easier to ride a gear higher in tighter conitions without the inner PV spring, have been running like this for 30 hours with no ill side effect's.

the yellow and green spring leave holes in the midrange which helps keep traction on slick surfaces, but do limit the top end and over rev.

a heavier flywheel with the inner spring removed would make for a much smoother, easier to ride bike then the PV restriced bikes currently sold, prehaps a heavier stator to run some decent light's

What size FWW and stator do u recommend Ttoks?

Who else runs the larger outer spring, but not the inner spring?

Byte

i'm running stock everything atm, but i'm considering getting the stator rewound (or if need be upgraded) to somthing around 150 watt's, i'd like to be able to run a 70 watt halogen light as i do a lot of night riding and still have the battery recharge at a reasonable rate for the e start, i havn't experimented with anything yet so if you wanna find something that work's well the only way to do so would be to experiment, few people seem to have tried no spring so it seems but the bike is definantly smoother and more powerful without it.