Sign in to follow this  

Frame dent... what do you think?

I got this bike and it has a dent on the bottom of the frame. I've tore the bike down to take it to get stripped and powder coated black. It has quite a bit of rust on the bare metal, but it's all superficial and with a minute of hand polishing with mothers polish it comes right off. The rust doesn't bother me that much as it is superficial and has not eaten away at the welds... that and it will be fixed tomorrow. But this dent has me concerned. Is this going to hurt the frame structurally? Should it be fixed?

Here are some pics:

Look at that rust... bleh. The bike was left outside for a couple years under a tarp. But I got it for cheap.

frame1.jpg

Can you spot the dent. lol.

frame2.jpg

frame3.jpg

View from the top... you can see a buldge

frame4.jpg

frame5.jpg

frame7.jpg

Without the flash

frame8.jpg

General pic

frame6.jpg

What do you think? I ride desert, but I don't jump really high? Is this a super bad structural defect?

You could probably pull most of that out with a bit of heat. Just be careful of distortion in the frame when doing it.

I wouldn't worry about it that cradle mostly holds the engine, rather than critical to the structural integrity of the frame.

nasty mash, a good fab shop could replace that section, which would be a nice fix since your going for the "bling" powdercoat. kind of waste of powdercoat w/ that damage.

I can't imagine how hard they hit that rock...OUCH!!!!

I would form and weld a piece of 3/32" steel over it for strength and looks.

yea you can either replace that section, try popping it out, or just weld it up.