'09 300xc vs '09 YZ450f

I've got an opportunity to buy either one of them new, each with a bit of a discount. Each are close to the same price.

I'm a trail rider, trails are fast and wide open to slow and tech, some hare scrambles, big hills, etc... I'm also about 175lbs in my birfday suit.

No 2 vs 4 stroke war here, I like 'em both and can get used to either.

I like that the Yamaha's supposed tamed power, and I've been down the Yamaha road before and I'll happily go back to them again.

But damn the 300..... well I'm probably preaching to the choir here huh?

?

I would probably go for the 300. The differences are just that...different. Each one is going to have advantages. (I just switched from a SXF450 to the XC300) There is nothing like that torque on the 450 Yammy, but the 300 matches that with usability. Also, resale value on the 300 is better. If you were strictly moto, I would say Yamaha.

Thanks fer the replies eh!

Zero moto here. Too many beautiful trails here within a 15 minute drive from my house. The track is about 45 minutes away at least.

No question the 300 is one of those rare cases of a 2 stroke holding its value, and most often better than a 4 stroke. It must be because its just so unique, but in a good way. For that reason its way more attractive to buy one of these new. With the Yamaha, the price would drop by about 1/3 just by walking out the door with it.

I'm not writing off the thumper though. This is 4 stroke country for sure.... or a 2 stroke that closely ressembles one. ? Not to mention a very good relationship with the Yamaha dealership. Boo-urns....

If you can; ride them both and then decide what fits your riding style. I rode a Honda 450x up until December when I made the switch to a 2009 300 xc-w. For me the 300 is much easier to ride in the tight stuff and is nearly as good in the open. The low end is close to the 450 but not quite. But oddly enough, I find it easier to climb long steep hill climbs then the 450. The suspension is quite good stock, plush with bottoming resistance. Again, try them both and buy what works for you.

I'm not looking at the WR. I would never consider the WR. Not sure where you got that....

Thanks for all the replies.

I won't be able to ride either unless I see some dude out on the trail riding one. I have ridden a stock '07 YZ450F and it was a beast, but I really want to try the newer ones with the mechanical muffler. I'm pretty confident I'd be happy on one.

I still want a 300 though. lol

I like the way the 450 will track through a rough section of trail without any drama. I hate the eventual heaviness and slowing the big 450's down on tight single track trails.

I dont like the skittery feel of the lighter 2 stroke when going real fast on a whooped section or really rocky yet fast portion of the trail. I dig the lightwieght and its ability to slow down in a hurry make the corner and power out with authority.

If its a Thumper why not a new 09' KTM 450 XC-W? The yammies are cool and the few I have ridden were ridable off the showroom floor without to much stuff required in the suspension dept. With as good as the KTM stuff is for 09' and you matching the target wieght???

The YZF450 is a fine machine...But if I was riding all trails a 300 would be a "Know-Brainer" IMO. You'll be faster for longer with less maintenance to boot.

KTM 300>YZF450.

What part of Washington do you live in? You know that dry part of the eastern side? Well, we're in the same dry belt here, so completely different from the coast. That's why a 450 is even remotely on the radar. Although, wet, slow, techie trails are there for the taking and that's why the 300 is there too.

Here, almost everyone is on a 450. A few 2 strokes here and there, a couple of 250f's, but really almost entirely 450's.

i find the 300 very easy on all types of terain, really the 300 doesn't evan come close to a 450 top gear wrap-it-on-and-go'ness, but in tight terain the power is so smooth from idle up it jsut get's traction and drives, on long, steep sandy hill climbs second gear and a fistfull of throttle and you'll be at the top before you can ask yoruself what happened, although the 300's set up with the yellow and green powervalve spring lack in top end a bit, the red spring or no spring wakens up the top end really notesably with no loss in bottom end, however it looses some of it's ease of use, snappier and easier to loose traction in the tight stuff.

Brotha, i just got a 300 and it is an amazing bike. read the reviews on the yamaha...not that great. If you go the thumper route go KTM. I have always been a Honda guy...I'llnever go back to Japanese bikes.

I like the reviews on the Yamaha actually. Best suspension, good overall package, most reliable, least powerful 450.... those points appeal to me 'cause I don't want a full-on 450 but a detuned one. All the reviews I've read say that with an aftermarket pipe the YZF would be the best bike in the class. But reviews.... I don't put much into those anyway.

I'd also consider the 450xc's but they're a little out of my price range. Even the 300 is pushing it a little. The YZF will be slightly less expensive than the 300.

Hard decision!!!!

the yamaha 450 is definitely good, but it is heavier than the 300

the new 300 comes with E-starter

it has torque of the thumper, to chug around

and power of the smoker, best of both world

if you do moto, i would pick the yammy.

if trail, 300 is the best i would say.

I like the reviews on the Yamaha actually. Best suspension, good overall package, most reliable, least powerful 450.... those points appeal to me 'cause I don't want a full-on 450 but a detuned one. All the reviews I've read say that with an aftermarket pipe the YZF would be the best bike in the class. But reviews.... I don't put much into those anyway.

I'd also consider the 450xc's but they're a little out of my price range. Even the 300 is pushing it a little. The YZF will be slightly less expensive than the 300.

Hard decision!!!!

what more will you have to spend on the 450 to get it prepped for offroad, that you are already getting with the 300?

The 300, or KTM in general is one of those things that you just have to try or own before you appreciate them or understand.

Their simplicity in engineering, ease of maintenance, lack of, and the design oriented displacements make them a great bike. Are you going to go with a round peg, round hole, or a square peg....

It's kind of like sex, you hear it's good, but don't realize how good till you experience it for yourself. ?

Hard decision!!!!

Stop torturing yourself!

machine_gun_cat.gif

Get the 300 and start luving the orange life!?

I made the switch from '07 WR450 to '08 300 XC-W and I'm completely happy with my decision.

The 3-hunny is just that...sweet!

Does the 450 Yammy come with hydraulic clutch? No!

Brembo brakes? No!

Stupidly simple oil changes? No!

Dead simple shock access and maintenance? No!

Come on...th Yammy is a great bike...but it doesn't compare with the 300 KTM.

I went to school on the Frazer between Lillooet and Litton and trucked veggies to the Okanagen every year. Vacationed at Lake Penticton many times. Southcentral and southeastern BC is magnificent country.

A 3-hundo would be perfect there!

-Jay

Terror kitteh makes a strong arguement.

I know which bike I want, I'm just trying to justify the other choice(s) to make my life even harder.

Well The last thing you want is to buy a bike and then think,'Ah! I should have gotten..." I did that last year. Rode a new KX, then I hopped on a KTM and KNEW I had the wrong bike for ME. And that bike may not be the bike for you. I was where you are 2months ago. Take your time! If you go to a dealer and tell them you want to test ride and you have cash or enought to make a deal. Think their going to tell you to screw off...Hell no! You have the upper hand here. Sales are low for them and will a lot for a sale. Go do some test rides! I did!

• Like 1