Sign in to follow this  

Oil Filter Recommendation

Looking for recommendation on what brand and where to buy oil filters for an 05 250R.

go for the stainless steel oil filters. never have to change them only clean them. also check how many microns it filters out. the lower the microns the better.

ive heard of cases where the dirt particles get stuck in the stainless steel. also with the ready oil filters/cover they need a thicker gasket, if not you'll leak oil. i use k&n, half the price of stock and just as good.

i run a ready stainless filter.. stock o-ring worked good for mine.. no need for a bigger one.. as for the particles getting stuck.. yea every once in a while something small will get bound up in the stainless mesh but always been able to clean it.. the paper ones do good as well.. i was tired of buying them every few hrs. and the stainless paid off within no time at all..

does scotts make a filter that you dont have to replace? if so, are they any good?

I run scotts in my honda and a cheaper brand in mt kawi, both look good quality.

Use paper for the 1st few rides on a new motor and just throw the initial wear metals away. That's the only time I found metals trapped in the mesh that were hard to clean.

I pull mine every oil service for inspection but find it doesn't need cleaning very often at all. I just check it for bronze or metals that shouldn't be there, so I can catch a failure before it takes a bigger toll.

The biggest source of visable debri in the motor comes from dirt that collects around the oil fill dipstick. Be careful not to let any fall in, I am, but every once in while wil find a spec on the filter.

i run all k an n s but there is a cheaper brand but i cant remember the name nut k an n are very nice

I am going with a steel filter. I will give it a shot when I change the oil this weekend and see what happens. Looks like a good option. Thanks for the input.