Sign in to follow this  

1981 KDX 175 Flywheel Bolt Torque Spec?

Hi, i just replaced my stator behind the flywheel on my kdx 175, and i cannot seem to find anywhere on the internet a torque spec for my flywheel. Also, I do not know if i should hit it on with a rubber mallet, then tighten it, or what. I read somewhere a kdx 200-250 needs 47ft lbs of torque on the flywheel bolt. I think mine is in the same range, but so far i have only gotten my 1/2" ratchet and tightened it to the point of slipping off the bolt. My bike started right up by the way, but i did not let it run for long in fear of it being overtightened/undertightened. What should i do/ what is the proper procedure for installing and tightening my flywheel. :)

I found out today that a stainless steel bolt from your local hardware store is not a proper replacement for an oem flywheel bolt.

Upon tightening my hardware store bolt it snapped off at the head leaving the rest inside my crank.:)

I was able to pull it out with a vice grip. Luckily i didn't strip the thread.

What happened was I read that 47ftlb is about the right amount of torque. And apparently it is too much, because As i kept tightening the flywheel bolt It was spinning, but not really sucking the flywheel in to the crank. So i kept going thinking it was sucking in the magneto, until i had a now you see it, now you dont with the bolt head. My torque wrench wouldn't get past 30ftlb without starting to, break the bolt.

It could have also been that the bolt that came with the bike was a harder steel than the one i bought from the hardware store, so when i applied the torque wrench it couldn't handle the stress and snap! Any thoughts?

I rode my bike and the flywheel didn't fly away shattering the magnets and costing me a new bike, so thanks for your help.

Glad to see so many interested in this topic.

I finally was able to contact kawasaki directly through their california office. They informed me that my bolt spec was 15ftlbs!!!!!!!!!!!:)

...not the 47ftlb i had been trying to acheive. There you have it. Torque SPec for Flywheel kdx 175 is 15 ft. lbs. That means i wayyyyyy overtightened my bolt. That sucks.

Hey, thanks for that. Now I know when I go to reassemble my bike, that is if I ever find the parts I need for it. Ugh :thumbsup:

This one must have been bumped to the second page before I saw it.

I have a manual for the 1981 KDX175. It says 16 ft-lbs. You may want to buy an owner / service manual for it.

I have a manual on the way. thx for the heads up.

No problem posting the spec, i hope you get your bike together:banana: