Sign in to follow this  

04 RM 250 carb cleaning tomorrow..

Recently bought an 04 Rm 250.. Thought I would remove the carb and take it to work tomorrow and clean it out.. I work in a Ford garage so I have the cleaners and tools needed.. Just wondering if there is anything I need to watch out for..ie, springs, gaskets swelling, common passages that plug up over winter. Any thing I should replace while the carb is apart?..

The bike also has a boysen rad valve...

There is alot of spooge coming from the y-pipe and where the muffler joins to the fmf fatty.. The swing arm is pretty black from the drippings...I suspect it is set up to run rich... I have yet to run this bike..I purchased it over the winter.. Just getting it ready for the season...I installed a new rear tire, removed the spark plugged which was soaked in gas due to me laying it on its side to remove the clutch cover and do an inspection... Also installed a 10 oz fww..

Thanks for your carb tips in advance...

Steve.

be careful using an aggressive automotive carb cleaner on RM parts.... some of them are so strong, they destroy things.. like eating the glue that holds the little drilled passage plugs in.. and of course, anything plastic or rubber.

I use S100, the cycle cleaner, works great as a bath to soak nasty carb bodies in.

I just soaked mine in regular parts cleaner. Being a Ford tech then I am sure you are aware of the carb dips and how plastic and the like react to it.

Nothing in particular to watch out for.