Sign in to follow this  

Fluid in breather tube

The last couple times out I've notice I am gettin fluid in the crankcase breather tube, or what I think is the breather tube. (Clear tube that comes down over the carb and is sealed with a plug on the left side). Fluid was clear the last time, maybe water? Before it was red like the engine oil/tranny oil or maybe excess air filter oil since the tube connects to the air box? Any help? good or bad?

It's mainly condensation. I'm not a big fan of this design, specially for motocross. If you should dump the bike upside down, oil runs out of the valve cover and into the airbox causing oil to get into the carb. I always block the airbox and use a straight tube minus the plug. The bad part is the oil leaks out when it's dumped upside down and you take a chance at possibly running it dry. Of course it depends on how long it spent upside down.

thanks for the help. now that you mention it my bike was upside down before the times this happened. guess i just need to stay up right :):banghead:

theres a bad side to it as well.. dumping a bike and sucking oil into the carb isnt good for the intake valves... when the oil hits the hot valve face it crystallizes and forms a hard carbon surface which does wear the stellite coating down... i can post a pic of some intake valves i pulled out of a crf that this happened to.. ever start the bike and it pukes out smoke after dumping it upside down?