Sign in to follow this  

No spooge on this two stroke

I have read plenty of threads on here about excess oil dripping from the exhaust, exhaust joint, etc.

Here are a couple of shots of my exhaust from this last Sunday.

Track - LACR

Track speed - medium to fast

Track time - 10 min practice and two 16 min motos

2006 YZ250

Jetting:

Main - 178

Pilot - 48

Needle - N3EW-2nd clip

Air screw - 1.25

Oil:

Maxima Formula K2 (Ester based synthetic)

Oil ratio - 40:1

Stock pipe & Pro Circuit silencer

And with all that being said, my father in-law used to share pre-mix at the races and my bike would have little spooge and have would have much more.

yz250001.jpg

Closer view

yz250002.jpg

Looks a bit lean. Bet you have some burn marks on the piston.

Either that or you just winding us up and it is a new pipe.

Also, keep in mind most of the spooge threads are in direct relation to someone who is running a spark arrestor. Slightly different ball game with a stock or non s/a silencer. Just my .02

I can't see the pics but by reading the info, looks like you are rich on the top and possibly lean on bottom, which could kinda throw your plug reading off.

Try going to 175 on the main and listen/feel the bike and read the plug. It'll get snappy-er above 1/2 throttle if I'm right.

If the plug is going tan/white, lower the needle clip position.

If that doesn't work, I'd be curious to know how old the top end is an what condition the reeds and air filter are in.

DON'T TOUCH THE PREMIX! it looks fine.

Bottom line; you are rich somewhere and I can guess it is on top since you say the track is fast.

Let us know.

Also, keep in mind most of the spooge threads are in direct relation to someone who is running a spark arrestor. Slightly different ball game with a stock or non s/a silencer. Just my .02

Exactly, throw a spark arrestor in the mix as well as lots of low speed single track and the game changes, i might get some spooge in the woods, no biggy but like you the last time i went to a track and had the stock silencer on i had zero

:)

Bravo. It's the spark arrestor fo sho. I threw on a stocker and it ran a slight bit snappier, no change in overall pull, BUT most of the spooge went bye-bye on tight trails. I know that it's a no-no but pah-leeze - take a look at western Washington during the winter. Mud, muck, moss, and rainwater everywhere. You could dump my entire fuel tank on the soaked soil and vegetation and throw a match on it. What would burn would be the gas and as soon as that was out - that's it.

Now, come summer time, on the high country trails with much higher temps and no moisture and the fact that it's USFS land - the spark arrestor is going back on. :banghead:

I have read plenty of threads on here about excess oil dripping from the exhaust, exhaust joint, etc.

Here are a couple of shots of my exhaust from this last Sunday.

Track - LACR

Track speed - medium to fast

Track time - 10 min practice and two 16 min motos

2006 YZ250

Jetting:

Main - 178

Pilot - 48

Needle - N3EW-2nd clip

Air screw - 1.25

Oil:

Maxima Formula K2 (Ester based synthetic)

Oil ratio - 40:1

Stock pipe & Pro Circuit silencer

And with all that being said, my father in-law used to share pre-mix at the races and my bike would have little spooge and have would have much more.

yz250001.jpg

Closer view

yz250002.jpg

what's the temp and elevation out there, man?

even at stock jetting back then (50 pilot, 178 main, N3EW and 2nd clip), i too haven't had any issue on spooge ----- summer temp in the afternoon was 32º to 38º celsius (90º to 100º fahrenheit), elevation of trails around 500m (1600 ft), humidity around 80% to 85%. premix was motul 800 2T at 32 : 1, then changed it to 40 : 1, and currently, motul 710 2T at 32 : 1 ---- i have had no issues with either oil at different mix

...and i ride trails, which is almost synonymous to "riding slow" aside from the fact that i'm really slow :)

what's the temp and elevation out there, man?

even at stock jetting back then (50 pilot, 178 main, N3EW and 2nd clip), i too haven't had any issue on spooge ----- summer temp in the afternoon was 32º to 38º celsius (90º to 100º fahrenheit), elevation of trails around 500m (1600 ft), humidity around 80% to 85%. premix was motul 800 2T at 32 : 1, then changed it to 40 : 1, and currently, motul 710 2T at 32 : 1 ---- i have had no issues with either oil at different mix

...and i ride trails, which is almost synonymous to "riding slow" aside from the fact that i'm really slow :)

But are you runnning a spark arrestor?

But are you runnning a spark arrestor?

I don't think that the spark arrestor makes a huge difference if your jetting is close. When I am riding my bike (with a S/A) on mx tracks the spooge is nearly non existent, and I think I could go a little leaner. As soon as I hit the trails, even higher speed hare scrambles I get spooge. It's a heat/rpm issue.

I don't think that the spark arrestor makes a huge difference if your jetting is close. When I am riding my bike (with a S/A) on mx tracks the spooge is nearly non existent, and I think I could go a little leaner. As soon as I hit the trails, even higher speed hare scrambles I get spooge. It's a heat/rpm issue.

Given this, trail guys should use a low flash point oil IMO. :)

Its a double edged sword, normally when running the spark arrestors your in the woods so like you said rpms/heat, the spark arrestors just compound the issue, you can lean them out a ways for the woods to generate the heat you wold on an MX track. Like Shrubitup said picking the correct oil for your situation plays into the scenario also

Given this, trail guys should use a low flash point oil IMO. :)

Has anybody looked at comparing spooging based soley on the flash point of the oils? I have not heard much about wether or not is a factor.

What elevation are you at and what temp?

That track is around 2500 feet and it was cold, well for So Cal anyways, around 55 to 60 degrees.

Shrub, that was somewhat my point. When you slow trail ride with a spark arrester your are gonna get some oil dripping. When you ride hard you have very little.

I agree 100%.

That's too rich by my standards...I'll try to get a pic of one next time I am out, bone dry with only carbon "tracking"

That's too rich by my standards...I'll try to get a pic of one next time I am out, bone dry with only carbon "tracking"

Yes please do, I think many of us would like to see that and what jetting, oil ratio, etc.