Sign in to follow this  

Stick with Metzeler Tires on KTM EXC??

I am a relatively new dual sport rider (riding an 07 525 EXC) and am in need of tires..again. I have read many posts on tires and have seen the recommendations on D606's and MT21's for dual sport riders who are primarily dirt, like me. I have not seen many comments on the 6 Days Extreme Metzelers that came on the bike. I have been running those tires but as I primarily run on hard pack, So Cal deserts, rocks, fire roads and 10% street, I chew up the rears quickly. Any suggestions on which way to go without losing off road performance? Stick with the Metzelers?

Metzlers blow! I love my Dunlop D606s, but if your not doing that much street their might be a better dirt oriented Dunlop out there for you.

I have a D606 rear on my 525 and it's been great so far. I thought the stock tires weren't that good, and the fim legal knobs aren't tall enough. I might try the Pirelli MT21 next time just to compare.

I also want to try a Kenda Trackmaster sometime just because their cheap, but people like them.

The big Terraflex is another one to checkout. I've heard mixed reviews on it so I'll have to just see for myself one of these days

http://www.mandhtires.com/store.php?crn=68&rn=276&action=show_detail

I run the Kendra Trackmaster II in the rear and a Pirelli Scoprion Pro in the front. I also ride mainly dirt and found this to be the best DOT combo for me.

i thought the stock metzelers on my 08 530 exc were terrible on the dirt. i went with full non DOT dirt tires as 90% or more of my riding is on the dirt. bridgestone 403/404. plan is to get a separate set of wheels for the street because I figured you just can't find great tires that meet all your needs for both street and dirt.

Do you guys recommend any DOT tires that are great for both street and dirt?

I run the Kendra Trackmaster II in the rear and a Pirelli Scoprion Pro in the front. I also ride mainly dirt and found this to be the best DOT combo for me.

That combo works really well, just stay away from the trackmaster on the front. Instant washout unless it is on something really heavy. CJ

i thought the stock metzelers on my 08 530 exc were terrible on the dirt. i went with full non DOT dirt tires as 90% or more of my riding is on the dirt. bridgestone 403/404. plan is to get a separate set of wheels for the street because I figured you just can't find great tires that meet all your needs for both street and dirt.

Do you guys recommend any DOT tires that are great for both street and dirt?

Dunlop D606's!

I really like the Metzler front, but the rear was ok when new, but now that it has worn out (very fast) it is crap. I like the Kenda trackmaster 2 with the Metzler front

I am running the Dunlop 756 front and the Maxxis Desert IT rear with good results. I don't ride the street much so DOT tires was not a big thing for me. I just use the street to get to the trails or combine sections :) Both these tires are good all around tires for any type terrain. The Desert IT lasts for a while too, but you do give up traction a bit because they wear well.

Great feedback thanks all for the help and comments, will switch from the Metzelers and try some new rubber. Thx!

I now run the Pirelli Mt-16 front and Kenda trackmaster II rear. This combo has lasted me a very long time (I finally need to replace it from last summer and I ride every weekend). This combo is streetlegal and works fantastic. I really like the predictable slide in the rear tire. No sudden breaking free moments. The front sticks really good and way better then stock.

I like the Metzler front too but switched to the Michelin DOT legal tire in the back. Great tire so far, good on the road, strong off road and wears better.

Hamp

I bought 'Millville Sticky's' but have not put them on yet, the're not D.O.T. but I don't care as I do very little road riding (just connecting the trails) and if I get a ticket, oh well :thumbsup: . I will post results once I've run them.

I asked for 778 and 779, i rode millvile few times and they are not long lasting.

I'm running a Kings KT9661 120/100x18 with great luck so far. Dot and so far great on the street as well as the desert. The tire slides very smoothly and I have about 1000 miles on it with a long way to go. The only problem is it's big and I killed a mud flap($6) with it until I was able to move the tire back on the swingarm. They have a smaller size for the 18" and a matching front. I will be running these for a while. My Metzlers were six day tires(lasted) for sure and 606s didn't hook on hardpack for me. I do lots of pavement wheelies and these are lasting well.