Sign in to follow this  

too much bike?

is it just my perception, or do alot of people have way to much bike for what they ride? tight single track, where the fastest guys are running like 25-30 mph and their riding fully modded 525's and whatnot. is this a swinging d@#% thing or what? I just have a hard time understanding how that much bike is being used.

depends on the rider i guess. you can get comfortable on a bike that you are always holding back on., i love a bike that is scary fast, but the real issue is if you race is that excess of power that you don't use anyways worth the extra weight and handling loss? so if your talkin about racin then don't worry about it and let them stay in the back of the pack while you stay up front :)

I guess it can kind of be an ego driven thing. I mean who doesn't like intimidating people a little bit before the gate drops.

not defending or ragging them i ride 250f but maybe they ride it to the track or just on other trails where they can open up

i think it soo stupid to carry all the weight myself i hate ridding my dads drz on trails

When I bought my 525 I didn't know what I was geting into. I just knew that I wanted enough power to move my fat ass. The 525 didn't seem like too much in the woods until I rode a new 300xcw on single track. If I had it all to do over again ideally I would have got the 300, but it sure is fun to open the 525 up on the straights and it climbs like a mofo.

is it just my perception, or do alot of people have way to much bike for what they ride? tight single track, where the fastest guys are running like 25-30 mph and their riding fully modded 525's and whatnot. is this a swinging d@#% thing or what? I just have a hard time understanding how that much bike is being used.

So what are you saying... everyone that rides 25-30mph should ride a xr100?

There is no set scale in terms of how big of a bike each person should ride. It doesn't work that way. Each bike of a different size and powerband has to be ridden differently. It has to be a good fit for your style.

Personally, I am not too fast or aggressive. So a 4 stroke is good for my style. Its torquey so I can gain speed more easily. I am getting better at riding my 2 stroke but I definitely have to learn to carry more momentum and speed around turns or it flames out on me.

I will never ride either one to their full potential.

sometimes it's an ego thing, but most of the time theres other motives, reliability, a 525 being idling through ST will last pretty much forever, but a 125 getting it's neck wrung through the ST won't, riding a varity of terain where the tradeoff in the single track is worth the gain when riding open stuff, and for some it's purely a riding style matter, i've met some very fast guy's on big 4 strokes that are very smooth, hold it in 3ed and tractor out of the corners, when your not trying to go flat out all the time a little to much power doesn't hurt, i know that when i'm stuffing around i like to have some extra power on tap for hill climbs, wide open spaces and dicking around with mates.

no, i'm not saying everyone should be riding small bikes, and i know that most guys don't have a quiver of bikes to pick from depending on where they're going to ride. it just seems that a pervasive attitude around here, some washington trails, is that if you're not riding a 450 or bigger you're on a toy and i think that's kind of silly. i'm personally looking at a 250 or 300 2t as my next trails bike, just because i keep wanting to borrow my buddies spare all the time and i think he's getting tired of it even though he doesn't ride it anymore.

no, i'm not saying everyone should be riding small bikes, and i know that most guys don't have a quiver of bikes to pick from depending on where they're going to ride. it just seems that a pervasive attitude around here, some washington trails, is that if you're not riding a 450 or bigger you're on a toy and i think that's kind of silly. i'm personally looking at a 250 or 300 2t as my next trails bike, just because i keep wanting to borrow my buddies spare all the time and i think he's getting tired of it even though he doesn't ride it anymore.

I'm one of those Toy riders sometimes, and I have to agree, most people I meet in the NW woods would prolly be faster, safer and in more control on a smaller bike. A TTR125 has enuff HP in it to haul 99% of the people out there at the same speed as their full-size bike in the woods. Prolly even make ya a better rider. But it's like you say, some people like to belittle others if they aren't on the bigger bike. I raced an adult capable(added forks and shock, cam & pipe) KLX125 a couple times last year, and both times I got scowls and jeers from some riders. I placed 4th at Hannegen, and I finished the 24hr Buttstomper on a mini, so they are very capable. On our minis, a friend and I have chased down, dogged, and passed many a full-size bike...always makes for an interesting facial impression from the rider being passed.

I've said it before "many people think they need the biggest thing they can afford, which in fact is the last thing they need."

It's half ignorance and the other half "bumper nuts".

If you pit any of these guys on their huge bikes who run trails against any local racer on a bike half it's displacement (or 1/4 if the second guy is running a smoker), it won't be a competition it will be a massacre.

But if you think you need a huge machine to run because it's the only way you know how to pull a wheelie trying to impress your buddies, so be it.

The ignorance is not your typical ignorance, the rider of huge bike he's only using 1/4 it's capabilities honestly thinks he needs it.

Me personally, I can have as much fun riding my kids DRZ-125 on the trails. The gf's KE100 is just not enough bike because I'm too heavy and need to roast the clutch on some hills, but the DRZ has enough torque to carry my 200lb frame along just fine.

I'm probably gonna get bad gas for this, before you click the little button, keep in mind this is an attempt to project an honest opinion with a little humor thrown in, even if it's very little humor.

For me it could be one of two words.. economics or versatility.. I simply don't have the cash to have a bike for every condition.. A(insert any make trail bike here) is good in the woods. Then next weekend, you show up at the line of a Vet MX and get your butt handed to you. A (insert small bike of choice here) works good in hardpack, then you go to the dunes and spend the day stuck halfway up every hill. And also, as mentioned before, a big bike ridden at 4000 rpm lasts longer than a 125 on the rev limiter. For many riders like me, it's not about ego.. it's about math..

Now if you would like to buy me a 300 for the woods:thumbsup: :)

I ride a CR250 with a KDX motor in it. You know where I stand.

Nothing like leaving a 450 4ST behind in the single track...

Get my butt whooped on the more open stuff....

In my book, there is NO SUCH THING as too much bike just like there is no such thing as too much power..

If Suzuki made a liquid-cooled modern TWO-STROKE RM500 with a 5-speed or more gearbox I'd be on one instead of my RM250.

I have nothing against lower horsepower bikes, they just are not for me.

i dont beleive my bike is too big for me. but can i handle all of it? Not yet, i like to grow into things, i started on a 125 and grew into that and needed more and now i got a 250

i dont beleive my bike is too big for me. but can i handle all of it? Not yet, i like to grow into things, i started on a 125 and grew into that and needed more and now i got a 250

i wasn't talking about having too much bike to handle just maybe having too much for the terrain.

I put a seat and larger fuel tank on my trials bike. Very few people want to go ride ST with me. :) Of course the second we hit an open area, I'm toast.

Up until a few years ago the Honda xr250 probably won more hare scrambles than any other bike in existence. I used to have one. It was underpowered but you could flat out move on tight trails and the machine didn't wear you down like a 450 4T or 300 2T. I think it's kind of a shame bikes like the xr250 and KDX 200 have gone away. Absolutely great trail machines and boat anchor reliability. Oh well, most now want what their motocross heroes ride. It's unfortunate, many of those machines aren't the right tool for off road.

That being said, a 300 2T is a whole lot more fun to ride than an xr250. :banghead:

I'm one of those Toy riders sometimes, and I have to agree, most people I meet in the NW woods would prolly be faster, safer and in more control on a smaller bike. A TTR125 has enuff HP in it to haul 99% of the people out there at the same speed as their full-size bike in the woods. Prolly even make ya a better rider. But it's like you say, some people like to belittle others if they aren't on the bigger bike. I raced an adult capable(added forks and shock, cam & pipe) KLX125 a couple times last year, and both times I got scowls and jeers from some riders. I placed 4th at Hannegen, and I finished the 24hr Buttstomper on a mini, so they are very capable. On our minis, a friend and I have chased down, dogged, and passed many a full-size bike...always makes for an interesting facial impression from the rider being passed.

the 125ttr does not have enough power to move a 185lb person, up hills, or sandy areas, i found that out.my 300 2t is the perfect bike for me, it can keep up with 450's on straights, takoffs, hillclimbs, sandy etc, and its a light bike!

Have you stopped to think that Mr. 525 probably has a trip to the dez next weekend. I understand some people like to concentrate their riding on a certain type of terrain, but most out there like to mix it up :foul:

I've owned a lower HP bike. There is maybe one off road scenario I can think of that I'd pick that bike over my 450. In that situation the 450 was actually a liability but that type of terrain constitutes like 5% of my riding and I've since learned how to manage the power better.

IMO the bigger bikes are more adaptable to different types of terrain than the smaller bikes. Yes, the small engined bikes do tight terrain well but they fall flat on their face in the open stuff and hillclimbs.

Oh hillclimbs...thats another story all together. On the TT-R the tallest gear I could pull on steep, long hillclimbs without abusing the crap out of the clutch was 2nd gear. I was constantly looking for more power too. There hasn't been a hill I've pointed the 450 up that it hasn't gobbled up without breaking a sweat :banghead: I like hillclimbs and I'm lazy...the big bikes work best for this :banghead:

It doesn't matter what people are riding as long as they're out there enjoying the sport responsibly :)

I think it's kind of a shame bikes like the xr250 and KDX 200 have gone away.

That being said, a 300 2T is a whole lot more fun to ride than an xr250. :)

Thats just it.

Going fast on an XR 250 is a chore. Going fast on a bike with power is fun :banghead: