Sign in to follow this  

CRF230 Forks / XR200R damper rods ?

Has anyone tried or looked to see if 1986-90 XR200R damper rods would fit CRF230F forks ? You would get longer travel if so.

Dwight

What are you up to, Dwight? Does the bike NEED more travel, or are you simply suggesting this to level out once a new shock has been installed?

-Tom

Trying to see how to really improve the stock forks. Longer Damper rods will allow more travel. I have no complaints about the forks on my XR200R with the Race Tech emulator kit and Progressive Suspenion Springs. I think the stock CRF springs would be fine with the emulator kit and longer damper rods.

Dwight

Dwight,

I have to respectfuly disagree about the stock forks.

The XR200 forks are a completely different issue....they are great forks.

The stockers are Flexy, require a brace. They have no adjustments, and are extremely heavy. the flex will cause major problems at speed in rocky terrain.

I did upgrade my stockers with emulators and a fork brace, which in turn requires neoprene boots.

The fork brace makes the front so rigid it is harsh, the only fork brace available rides way to close to the top of the tire and make installing the boots a nightmare. The boots have to be pinch mounted between the brace and the fork. there is no room at the top to clamp them.

This set up when completed it made night and day difference. but the emulators cost $170, the brace was a $100 or so and the boots were $40.

total cost of $310.

Now that we have a triple clamp that will work with other forks it will alow for more possibilities for those of us that do not have access to a machine shop.

I looked in my shop manual on the damper rods. I dont see how longer damper rods will give more travel. the spring sets on top of the damper rod, therefore a longer damper rod will allow less room for the spring. A shorter damper rod might squeeze a little extra travel if you found a looser wound spring.

vmeadows

You don't understand how a damper rod fork works. First of all the forks are almost identical to the XR200 fork. EXCEPT the CRF230 fork is 1mm bigger. Stock XR200 fork is 36mm. CRF230 is 37mm. The damper rod controls the fork length and travel. You have a topout spring below and suspension spring above. You can preload the stock springs quite a lot. Race Tech emulator will take up 3/4" and you can if needed add another 3/4 inch of preload. You are only adding 1/2" of length and travel. I don't care for fork braces on 35+mm forks. Maybe on 30mm forks. I don't even use them on my Pentons that came with fork braces on the 32mm Ceriani forks. Fork Braces can cause binding and harsh action. I never feel like I have too much fork flex on my XR200 fork. I know there is some but some is good and absorbs some impacts. I think most would like a fork kit that works verses replaceing the forks and the problems that come up because of putting a set of forks on a bike that weren't designed for it.

Dwight

I can see how a shorter damper rod could give more travel. but a longer one is going to take up space.

the damper rod on a 230 bolts to the lower fork leg. Not sure how the 200 forks are built.

Hold the front wheel on a 230 between your knees and grab the handle bars and twist. It will scare you how far they flex!!!

Dwight,

I figured out how a longer damper rod could give more travel!!!

I thought that you meant that the fork could travel farther in the down direction. The damper rod longer would allow it to travel further in the up direction

The damper rod acts as the stop for the inner tube.

Sorry for the confusion on my part.

vmeadows

Dwight,

I figured out how a longer damper rod could give more travel!!!

I thought that you meant that the fork could travel farther in the down direction. The damper rod longer would allow it to travel further in the up direction

The damper rod acts as the stop for the inner tube.

Sorry for the confusion on my part.

vmeadows

NP. Also if some one could make a fork brace that criss crosses the front of the triple clamps that may take care of 90% of flex problem Someone used to make one like that for another bike.

Dwight

I bought a set of 1991 XR200R forks off ebay. I plan on taking them apart to see if the damper rods can be exhanged with the CRF230F. If so that might be a plan to make and market longer damper rods along with the Racetech Emulator kit to make a dramatically better front end out of the stock CRF230F forks.

Dwight

Any success?

I bought a set of 1991 XR200R forks off ebay. I plan on taking them apart to see if the damper rods can be exhanged with the CRF230F. If so that might be a plan to make and market longer damper rods along with the Racetech Emulator kit to make a dramatically better front end out of the stock CRF230F forks.

Dwight

I have been so busy that I haven't had time to compare yet. I had another friend that was going to also but alias , he too has been running behind. This project is far from dead.

Dwight