Sign in to follow this  

Beginning Suspension WR250R

Hey guys, the WR250r is my first bike and vehicle i have ever purchased(i just turned 18 a while back). Im learning mechanics as i go and trying to do everything i can on my own. I really dont know anything about setting up suspension and was wondering if anybody could show me a step-by-step how to on proper tuning (pictures would be helpful). Ive done a bit of reading on how rebound and damping work but thats about it. Im not even entirely sure where the adjustments are made. I weigh 140lbs and am 5'11. Could somebody help me out?

Thanks.:)

Sent you a PM that might help.

You can also learn a great deal from reading the tech articles section here at TT.

Hi, I'm a newbie rider/owner in the same spot.

I bought my WR250R used, and I don't yet have an owners manual.

I've tried some suspension mods, but I'm not sure what's up.

I have a Yamalink installed now, which lowered the rear.

I have dropped the front forks by about 3/4" in the clamps.

I'm trying to set "sag", but I can't get near 95mm

It seems my standing weight on the pegs produces about 71mm sag.

I adjusted the upper shock ring UP after reading tech forums, but still get same measurement. Am I doing something wrong, or am I too light?

I'm 5'7" at about 140lbs.

Any thoughts are helpful...

sdlitespec I'm roughly the same size. I haven't found exactly what settings I like yet, but I definitely noticed a big improvement when I removed the preload from the rear shock.

That adjustment is shown here in this photo. You would need to move both the lock ring and adjustment ring way up. I have maybe 1/2 or 3/4 inch of thread showing above the top ring now.

100_0109.jpg

It's tough to find a specific recommendation, because even riders of the exact same size will have different preferences. A single rider may even have two different sets of settings, since this bike does double duty on road and off. But a couple of threads on TT that might prove helpful on this topic are:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=674483

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=717030

If you come up with a combination of settings that work out for you then post them back on here... I'm interested to see what another "lightweight" rider comes up with.

Also, here's a link where you can download the owners manual.

http://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/community/service/manuals.jsp

Thanks CopaMunial for all the info -- especially the link for the Owner's manual. I was on the way to the dealer in the morning to buy one!

I'll check the threads you mentioned. Some I've partially read already, but I'll run them down fully to soak up all the info.

As far as my setup -- I've installed the YamaLink (new engraved logo is Cool, maybe photo worthy) and lowered the front forks approx 3/4". Last night I raised the locking rings on the rear so that about 1/2" to 3/4" threads are showing at the top. My sag still measured about 71mm (according to my 12yr old helper). The bike is really low now, seems level - or flat looking, and almost vertical when on the side stand. I have not had it off-road yet though.

Since I'm a newbie, I won't have much experience to judge by. I'm just looking for a reasonable starting point so I don't get "pitched" off the bike when I leave the pavement. Seems to be a work in progress...

sdlitespec I'm roughly the same size. I haven't found exactly what settings I like yet, but I definitely noticed a big improvement when I removed the preload from the rear shock.

That adjustment is shown here in this photo. You would need to move both the lock ring and adjustment ring way up. I have maybe 1/2 or 3/4 inch of thread showing above the top ring now.

100_0109.jpg

It's tough to find a specific recommendation, because even riders of the exact same size will have different preferences. A single rider may even have two different sets of settings, since this bike does double duty on road and off. But a couple of threads on TT that might prove helpful on this topic are:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=674483

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=717030

If you come up with a combination of settings that work out for you then post them back on here... I'm interested to see what another "lightweight" rider comes up with.

Also, here's a link where you can download the owners manual.

http://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/community/service/manuals.jsp

OK, just spent a little time messing around in the garage this weekend. Here's what I'm going to try...

NOTE: I have not tried these settings yet - not even on the road. I just wanted to note a starting point, then go from there. These are based on a slight modification from "Stutter". Time will tell how things settle out.

Front Forks:

Compression - 3clicks out from max damping.

Rebound - 10clicks out from max damping.

Height - 3/4" tube showing above triple clamp.

Rear Suspension:

Compression - 6clicks out from max damping.

Rebound - 4clicks out from max damping.

Preload - 5/16" threads showing above top lock ring.

Rider: I'm 5/7" and around 150lbs riding weight.

It will be a few weeks until I can check this setup out. Weather is forecast to be "iffy" and a family trip will keep me off for a while. When I get a chance, I'll let you know what I think. Keep in mind, I'm a newbie rider and will not have a lot of experience to compare.

Many here are much more knowledgeable and experienced, so I'm up for advice whenever I can get it. If anyone wants to post their personal "setup" and height/weight, I'm all ears!! :thumbsup:

OK, so I got a chance to check the setup that I mentioned before...

My goal was to set up the bike for trail riding, which I might do, along with street commuting. That said, I couldn't help myself from going to a local MX track this weekend, just to see how the bike would do. I'm not an MX rider, so this was my first time on a track EVER (Archers Lodge, NC).

Man, was it fun -- like 40yr old putting around the big jumps kinda fun!

HOWEVER, the front end felt like a BRICK coming off the jumps. I think a softer setup would be better for jumps. My wrists are still sore.

Normally I would not ride MX, but it was my 15min. of shame, er fame. (Just wanted to do it once to see what the pros were looking at. Boy do I have a new RESPECT!)

Anyway, suspension settings from others are appreciated -- and the riding conditions for the setup purpose.

Life is short -- Ride HAPPY! :p