Sign in to follow this  

Does a 98 RMX 250 stator fit in a 98 RM 250???

I just got a street legal 98 RM 250 and needed to put some lights on it... I bought a moose lighting stator and it didn't work (brand new/ no spark). Moose/electrosport/electrex stators are all the same. I found out that they are all junk and will leave you stranded with no spark if they do. I researched putting an RMX stator into my RM and when I pulled up the microfische it looks as though the backing plate for the RMX is a perfect circle and my backing plate for my RM has tabs. It also appears as though the little black ignition box that sits above the flywheel on my RM is actually oriented below the flywheel on the RMX... This makes me think that it will not fit... Does anyone know if it will? I would love to buy an oem stator so the thing actually works! My alternative is to use low voltage HID lights and just wire them to a battery and use that for lights (which would suck because I'd have to keep recharging them).... :)

Seems like the '98 may have been the 1st year of the power jetted carb; if so, then you could disconnect it and connect to a Steahly RM headlight kit. The small RM coil generates just enough electrical power to run a headlight - don't expect to light up Baja with it, though. I talked with them nine months ago or so (before buying my 2nd RMX), and the gentleman on the phone was confident even a tail & brake light could be illuminated. Give them a call and let us know where this all goes as others here are in your situation and could benefit from your experiences.

Please PM me with where/how you acquired your street-licensed RM - thanks. Reason being I have a licensed RMX, and am contemplating a move back to CA.