Sign in to follow this  

Powdercoating help

Ok so I've got a friend who's dad is in the metal fab business and he has a lot of insider hook ups. One of them being powdercoating. I got the great idea to get my ignition cover, valve cover and clutch cover powdercoated, and my friend says it wont cost me too much more than like 20 for everything. Only problem i have is the sight glass in the clutch cover. My friend says it might be a problem because the parts need to be baked after the powdercoat has been applied. Is there a way to remove the sight glass?

It just pops out with the use of your fingers.

Some people have had them pop out while riding = not so good of a day.

Just be sure that they bead blast the parts good before doing it. I had a friend who worked a bit at a powder coating place. He got them to do my rims for free. They skipped the blasting part. The coating just chipped away in minutes. And the rim was shiny underneath. You get what you pay for! At least I´m good at lacing rims now!

if you cant pop the glass out, just tape over it, so when they shot blast, it doesn't frost the glass, then when they bake the powder, i don't think its hot enough to break the glass

okay, my friend says the guy does some sodium iodine dunk to chemically strip the metal...will this harm the covers?

they have to strip all the coatings off ur metal make sure it clean before they coat them, then pop in the oven at 325' for 10 mins ding cookies r done

arent the valve cover magnesium? better make sure they donts bake it to hot because mag. is very flammable

okay, my friend says the guy does some sodium iodine dunk to chemically strip the metal...will this harm the covers?

There is no "anodizing" on these parts, just cheap easy to get off paint.

You can see that it is just sprayed on if you look closely on the underside of the triple clamps for example.

So a simple glass bead blasting is more than enough for these parts before powder coating.

I´m not so sure that these parts are magnesium... On Hondas and Yamahas it always says "magnesium" in the casting. The Kawi has no such thing...

I´m thinking it´s just some cheap easy to produce aluminum alloy...

so i pulled the clutch cover off last night, just to see how hard popping the glass out would be and i had no luck. pushed as hard as i could with both thumbs and nothing. I dont even think it budged. I also talked to the guy who's going to do the powdercoating, and he's going to charge like 10 dollars per piece, and apparently they bake the stuff on at around 400 degrees. He said if the sight glass is glass it will be fine, but if its plastic, its up to me, no guarantees. Any help?

That would indicate it being magnesium yes. I never saw that symbol when i removed my cover once... Well, live and learn I guess...

The glass is held in there with a rubber frame/fitting.

Maybe a small screwdriver will do the trick..?

It needs to be removed, the rubber cannot take that sort of heat.

That would indicate it being magnesium yes. I never saw that symbol when i removed my cover once... Well, live and learn I guess...

The glass is held in there with a rubber frame/fitting.

Maybe a small screwdriver will do the trick..?

It needs to be removed, the rubber cannot take that sort of heat.

I'll try that over the next few days. I'm planning on riding tomorrow, so I'm not about to tear it apart tonight. Assuming I can get the glass out, do you think a small bead of like super glue around the window and rubber would be good insurance against it coming out once i get the cover powder coated?

You shouldn´t need to, but I guess it doesn´t hurt.

Some types of glue probably dissolves in hot engine oil, so it might not do any good at all...

cant get the damn rubber deal out that holds the glass in. I'm going to try and find a decent pick set and try that.