Sign in to follow this  

After Market Case Saver Question

I have a 07 KX250F and I just got a after market case saver guard. I see some guys just run the drive chain guide without the engine sprocket cover. My question is "would you guys recommend running both the drive chain guide and the after market case saver or just the case saver and no chain guide." Thanks for any input on this.

That would be up to you.

I just remove the plastic guard because it is ugly, and shorten the two bolts 10mm.

There is always a slight chance of something catching the chain there, that´s why they have it on there to begin with. It never happened to me though!

Isn´t the aftermarket case guards supposed to replace all the stock parts?

See how it fits together with the chain, if it looks good it probably is!

SDC10106.jpg

Yeah, you can remove it. But I hear if you get something caught in thre it's a beee-yatch! Nice clean bike by the way.........

Ditch the plastic cover and put shorter bolts in and leave the metal plate thats behind the plastic. If you leave the plastic chain guard on it will fill up with mud. Its on there in case the chain breaks and keeps it from busting your case. Like I said ditch the plastic cover and just keep the metal plate on.

This is what the aftermarket case saver looks like without the metal plate. Should I still use the metal plate behind it or not?zl1Tj2xq6z-xyzvG58GvL_20r7uPTOAz.jpg

This is what the aftermarket case saver looks like without the metal plate. Should I still use the metal plate behind it or not?zl1Tj2xq6z-xyzvG58GvL_20r7uPTOAz.jpg

Look at the chain line from behind. If the chain hits it exactly in the middle, just leave it as it is.

i was wondering can u just buy shorter bolts?what are they 8mm?

i was wondering can u just buy shorter bolts?what are they 8mm?

I just hacksaw 10 mm off my original bolts. They are M6 with 8mm heads.

But to answer your question, yes, all lengths of bolts are available...

You can always get a kit of metric mororcycle bolts, good to replace all those small bolts that fall off:

2004-EUPP.gif

where can i get that? ive seen some ful bolt kits on ebay for like 200 dollars i dont really wanna spend that much

Motion Pro has one for $83,75:

33-0300.jpg

And RockyMountainAtvmc has a 180 piece box for just $29.99:

tus_07_180_pie_met_mot.jpg

go to home depot, they have metric bolts, I have used them as replacements before. I replaced the bolts on the bottom of the carb bowl, cuz those phillips ones always get stripped

No, your new case saver replaces the stock metal one, no need for both. I have never used the plastic cage in 15 years and never had a problem.

Thanks for lookin' out guys. D-K your suggestion on looking down the chainline from the rear tire answered my question. The inside edge of the aftermarket case saver lines up a little inside of the chains centerline. No need for the metal plate. Hey OC Squid be thankful for never having a problem with not running a case saver. I have seen a few cracked case covers due to a busted chain.:) not good:foul: . Them little case savers work. Thanks again guys.

Hey Carson!

Nice looking bike! I didn't know you moved up to a 4 stroke. I always remember you racing the yz125 2stroker. Where did you get that case saver? I've got an '06 KX250F and would like to get one of those.

You racing La Grange this weekend?

If so, see you there.

Martin 179B

Martin, How goes it? Thanks by the way. After Ken #123b got his RM250 I was the last one on a 125cc. Fought the good fight for as long as I could. My KXF is a 07 I got it 2 days before the last Hollister race. Kind of baptized it by fire you could say. After all the good things I heard and read about the KX250F how could I not Go Green!!! I'm gettin used to the 4stroke. Its kind of the same but different. Ya know? But yeah lookin' forward to La Grange. I've never been there before but I've heard good things. I got that case saver from Zip-Ty. I like thers the best out of all the other aftermarket ones I've seen. See ya Saturday Bro. Carson #124b