Sign in to follow this  

shock spring change

hey sorry to be a pain but can anyone tell me how to change my rear shock spring?? i have tried searching but have not found anything on how to actually change the spring? thanks guys

You back up the two locking rings up as far as they will go on the shock body.

Then the spring goes up off the spring seat, and the spring seat can be separated.

Remove the circlip, and slide all parts off the shock.

Voila!

Hey fj1600, im planning on switching out my shock spring as well. I have a question for you guys, this applies to you too fj, (not trying to hijack) If we switch out the shock springs without switching the front out as well, will the bike be unbalanced? In my case im going to a softer spring but leaving the fronts alone, would this cause any handling problems? or vyse versa with a stiffer rear spring and not touching the front springs? My front forks feel great, but my rear likes to kick back at me.. I have adjusted rebound.. Again not trying to hijack you FJ. You might not have thought of this..:)

i swapped the back and front mate so i duno, mayb give ure local suspension place a call and ask

Hey fj1600, im planning on switching out my shock spring as well. I have a question for you guys, this applies to you too fj, (not trying to hijack) If we switch out the shock springs without switching the front out as well, will the bike be unbalanced? In my case im going to a softer spring but leaving the fronts alone, would this cause any handling problems? or vyse versa with a stiffer rear spring and not touching the front springs? My front forks feel great, but my rear likes to kick back at me.. I have adjusted rebound.. Again not trying to hijack you FJ. You might not have thought of this..:)

It could make it unbalanced, but most likely not. The riders style can affect this a lot. The valving too. What made you decide to change just the shock? Was there a reason behind it? The Kawi is already considered to be a bit high in the rear, but with not enough damping...

A heavier spring tends to rebound a bit harder, so generally when changing to a heavier spring, you should soften the compression and increase the rebound damping.

But settings must be individually tested.

I haven't changed yet, but the back end likes to kick up at me and i have played with the settings.. I was going to try softer shock before, In my case if i dont land hard on the gas the back end will rebound hard, breaking bumps can be somewhat difficult depending on how bad they are, and rear end likes to slide out or not stay in ruts.. Im thinking the back end is too stiff for me.. you can pm me if youd like DK, dont wanna take over his thread