Sign in to follow this  

kx125 suspension lowering

Hey all,

I have a quick Q, i just started to ride again this spring after being out for a few years from a car accident that busted me up pretty bad (boo! lol). I picked up a friends 02 kx125 and, being 5'3 (don't suggest i get a cfr150! ) i need to drop it down a bit. I've ridden with tip toe touching, I know it's not the most fun but I live with it being so short - i tiptoe on my cbr that's been lowered every time i ride. Anyway, I want to pick up 3" or so (i know, it's a lot.. ;/ ) to be more comfortable with the bike and to tip toe on it... I know the best option is to do my suspension + shave my seat down 1" roughly , so I was wondering, from the masters of suspension ;p, is it safe & worth it to get my suspension shortened 2" full, or should i stick with 1.5" roughly. I know it will affect the travel, obviously, however, I need to sacrifice stuff being my height and only 130lbs.

seat shaving + lowering link would still be iffy.. i'd prefer *shiver* to get my suspension done to keep the geometry.. and if absolutely needed toss a lowering link on after the suspension/seat is done (sigh.. i hate being so short!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!:banghead:

Thanks in advance

james

*grumbles about being so short :)*

you can also elongate the lower subframe holes and drop the subframe -this helps a lot.I would not go too low on the suspension, a 1" drop feels more than 1"

I'm going to install the link this weekend and reset my sag so its proper, and shave teh seat 1.25 or so.. maybe i'll get lucky andit will just be enough..though I would think thats pushingit... 1" lowering link, 1.25~ seat, proper sag (imonly getting about 2 atm my bud said since its set for a much alrger rider) and maybe I'll get lucky, wish me luck! lol

:)

james

Hey all

What about if i were to re-spring the suspension along with the seat shaving for 1.5", lowering link (and setting up my preload/race sag as well as every so slightly moving the fork up in the triple clamp to keep geometry)? I know it's stock springs right now, and weighing 135~lbs.. would it help at all? If so what kg/mm springs would you all recommend? I know it wouldn't lower it technically, but would be easier to set the sag and all, help with the ride and so on? The guys at the kawi store here pretty much refused to lower my suspension going on about how (obviously) it lowers the bike's clearance and blah blah itll hurt my back, that its not safe, pretty much, heh....

all help appreciated, as mentioned i need 3" to tip top both sides (argh being small) and can get 1.5 seat, 1 link and then preload and stuff

james