Sign in to follow this  

kx125 lowering: best method?

Hey all,

I'm starting to ride again this year after being out a few due to a stupid car accident :/ Picked up a bud's old 02 kx125, and being 5'3, 135lbs, i need to drop it a bit. I have ridden tip toe touching before, I know its not the most fun but I have to live with it.

So, I've come to seek your opinions on the best way to drop it a scary 3" or so overall (i know its a lot, don't flame me for being tiny!!). What would you all suggest best way? Seat will be shaved for 1.25" or so to start with, no matter what I do. I have a lowering link here that'll give me about 1".. I will admit, I haven't set the sag proper for me yet on the bike- my friend was about 175, and i'm 135.. so I know i'm not getting full 100mm~ sag as it is now.. I will get a bit more when its set up for me.

I may get away tip toe with the seat, lowering linkage and sag set right (but i'm not sure what sag i'm getting now how it's set, though i doubt its a full 1"off ...). if not would you guys say try a smaller back tire to get 0.5", or get the suspension shortened w/ the shaved seat and lowering linkage? Again, to be honest with the sag set right I may pull off the seat/lowering link, though I think that's pushing it.. I can ride fine, i would just like to feel more comfortable with the bike if possible (not comfortable on it.. but with it.. you know what I mean:) )

any advice would be appreciated:)

thanks!

Hi iggle, I'm short and light too (5'4" with a 29" inseam, 125 lbs). Have you also raised your forks in the triple tree? That will help a little. Lighter oil? I've got a KX100 that I fit pretty good on and a Husky TE250 and the seat height is around 37", so I understand what you're talking about! I felt very uncomfortable with the seat height on the Husky for a while, but have mostly gotten over it and don't crash or flop over very often. If you like the bike you could always have your suspension professionally lowered and maybe resprung for your weight.

Yep, like I said (and like you did) riding the bike is fine.. but its kind of uncomfortable since its too big at the moment.. being able to tiptoe will be a lot more reassuring on it. I haven't raised the fork in it trippleclamp yet, I'm going to when I install the lowering link this weekend (hopefully). My buddy said, as it was set right now, im only getting about 2" of sag when I get on, so if its set properly to 100mm~ that will give me a big help along with the seat and lowering linkage I would think.

Heading to the shop today to pick someother junk up, so Im going to see if they will drop my suspension 1.5 if needed, but I'm going to stick to that as a last resort.. if i can pull the right amount with the sag set properly,link, seat, ill be one happy short kid! :)

cut the seat, set the sag for your weight, and learn to ride it.. with a short inseam its just the way it is... Why compromise the suspension travel and frame geometry?

Hey Iggle, the 02 seats are taller than the 99-01's. Not by much, but enough to notice it. I bought an 02 foam off Ebay and don't really like it.