Sign in to follow this  

No Spark Arrestor?

Don't run it in the woods with it out. On the streets you can but it will be loud. My little brother takes his out when we go to the track. (XR50)

Don't run it in the woods with it out. On the streets you can but it will be loud. My little brother takes his out when we go to the track. (XR50)

what will happen in the woods with it out?

A spark arrestor makes your exhaust not spark. So if you run it in the woods with it out, and your exhaust desides to spark for some reason, it might start a fire. My brother on his XR50 went in the woods with it out and nothing happened.

On your bike there is no performance benefit to taking the spark arrestor out. If you take it out, all that does is make it way louder and illegal to ride off road on public lands (due to both the increased noise and the lack of a spark arrestor).

It may feel like it has more power without it, but that is just the noises coming out of the pipe. I would just keep the spark arrestor in there if it were me (and yes, I had an XR100 once so I am speaking from old experience here).

On your bike there is no performance benefit to taking the spark arrestor out.

I would agree to that statement, if that's all you do. But, if you properly jet the carb after removal of the spark arrestor, and open up the intake restrictions, it will improve performance. Many / most people don't know how to do this, therefore they do more harm then good.

Yeah if you get a UNI or K&N filter and do air box mods and re-jet, you will notice a difference with the arrestor out.

I haven't done this to and xr100, but I have with an xr50 and 70 and it does increase the power some. But you may want to re-jet it because it may lean out a little, but I haven't.

The PO removed the spark arrestor on my wifes crf100, and it is annoyingly loud! I ordered a new stock exhaust to replace the gutted, obnoxious one.