Sign in to follow this  

Convince me...Should I Get Into This Hobby?

Alright, LONG time reader, but I haven't posted much. I posted a couple of years ago considering purchasing a dual sport when I was still in college. Well, I never got around to it. Now that I'm out, and my fiance and I just purchasing a new house, I can't swing one now, but probably in the future a ways. I've always been into offroading (I've ridden bikes, quads, and built a decent trail truck out of my 96 Tacoma through college). I know drive a stock 05 TRD Tacoma. I was considering building it back up a bit, but I feel as if that might be a bit of a waste considering there is really few parks in PA or legal places in PA anymore. Now, the idea of a dual sport is REALLY appealing to me since I live in a fairly rural area of PA, and there are backcountry dirt/fire roads that I would love to ride.

However, my hesitations are this. One, I don't know of ANY riders in this area (Williamsport/Cogan Station), so I would be riding by myself a lot. This leads me to worry about injury. I know it's not advisable to offroad by yourself in case something happens, so I would assume the same applies to dual sporting. However, living where I do, I can easily hop on the bike and go exploring/riding right away any time.

Do you guys get tired of riding the same trails/road? I'm sure there's plenty of roads around here to keep me busy (even the Bald Eagle state forrest is within 1.5hrs from me).

Anyways, what do you think? Anything else you guys have that can sway me in one direction or another:ride: :)

lol, i think you're asking advice from a pretty biased crowd for one... from being a fellow PA'er though i say go for it you won't regret it! i got my bike(2004 suzuki DR650) in the beginning of '05 brand new and the only thing i wish i would've done was gotten the drz400 because i found myself off road(or wanting to go off road) more than on road and now i strictly run single track and double track trails and plan on getting into harescrambles and now looking to sell my DR and get a 400 or 450 of some sort. that probably won't happen for a while though so i'm planning on racing my DR in some harescrambles this year till something comes along. i have it stripped down of all the street legal gear so i don't break anything too...

lol, it's addictive though... i used to ride when i was younger and when i got my bike i figured yeah dual sport so i get the best of both worlds(which here in pa there's plenty of both!!!) but i soon found myself being pulled back to my roots of woods riding. just depends what you're into. hey, you're only about an hour and a half away from me and i know plenty of spots to ride. i just recently found myself someone to ride with but i didn't let that stop me before. rode by myself alot up till about 4 months ago. just can't get in over your head that's all:thumbsup:

i say go for it... oh and if you're looking for a good used dual sport bike... let me know it may be for sale :)

• Like 1

Look into regional forums, find some clubs in your area, make new friends & go on group rides etc., you could have a hundred like minded individuals in your area & not even know it. Good luck :)

As for riding the same trails I never get bored because the trails are almost never the same. The weather constantly changes and so do the trails

I ride alone all the time and I always carry a cell phone and tools. Know the area you are riding in and maybe even hook up a GPS.

As far as will you get bored with it. I would think running the same trails over and over would get boring, unless you have some buddies to race around with. I know when I just casual trail ride on a Sunday I get bored to tears by myself, unless I'm doing something like riding out to my favorite arrowhead hunting areas. When I've ridden with other guys, it's a lot more fun. Other guys bring a lot more entertainment to the table. However I do enjoy long distance riding by myself, to get away from everybody. I use my dual sport for trail riding in the southwest where you can spend several days covering hundreds of miles and only come across a handful of people. I'd be happier and more comfortble in my 4x4 p/u but it's not cheap to drive. It cost me $500 dollars for fuel round trip from Kansas City to St. George Utah in my p/u versus $100 on my bike. I also use the bike for cheap transportation around town. I almost always end up riding alone, and out in the desert where there is no cell phone towers, and the enviroment is harsh, you have to be well prepared for anything that comes your way. From flat tires, to snake bites. You have to keep water and extra gas on the bike, and you have to be mentally and physically prepared either to walk out (if you walk out, leave a note on the bike as to which direction your going so if the bike is spotted they know which way to look for you) of the desert, or make shelter and stick with the bike and wait for the Calvary to save you. When I've solo hiked or solo riddin in the past it's kinda like the Survivorman show. It's rewarding at the end of the trip, but during the trip everything is quiet, slightly boring, and you end up talking to yourself a lot. I always call my friend or Dad before heading out and let one of them know where about I'll be and when I'll be calling them back, so they know if I don't call at the specific time, then somethings wrong and they will have an idea as to where to search for me. I've been all over Pa, and I can't think of any area where I couldn't find a farm house or road within a half day hike so if worse comes to worse, you should be able to just walk out of the woods unless you break a leg or some other injury that's dibilitating. I would still recomend telling your wife your where abouts and when to expect you home incase of the worst case senerio. To me a dual sport is the way to go because it's not much more cost wise versus a off road bike only, and if fuel prices soar again, you'll have cheap transportation for around town. I've got a basket that quickly hooks to my rack so I have a place to put the milk/groceries, etc when running errands. If you end up not useing it on the road then you just drop your insurance and only use it for off road. In all honesty, it's sounds to me like you'd get bored unless you find some buddies to ride with because afterall you've had similiar vehicles and it seems like you got bored with them quickly or you would still have them or traded them for something newer at the time. Just my thinking, I hate to steer someone away from riding dual sports, but I'd hate to see you finance or drop a bunch a money on something that your gonna end up useing for only summer. Eitherway good luck.

Alright, LONG time reader, but I haven't posted much. I posted a couple of years ago considering purchasing a dual sport when I was still in college. Well, I never got around to it. Now that I'm out, and my fiance and I just purchasing a new house, I can't swing one now, but probably in the future a ways. I've always been into offroading (I've ridden bikes, quads, and built a decent trail truck out of my 96 Tacoma through college). I know drive a stock 05 TRD Tacoma. I was considering building it back up a bit, but I feel as if that might be a bit of a waste considering there is really few parks in PA or legal places in PA anymore. Now, the idea of a dual sport is REALLY appealing to me since I live in a fairly rural area of PA, and there are backcountry dirt/fire roads that I would love to ride.

However, my hesitations are this. One, I don't know of ANY riders in this area (Williamsport/Cogan Station), so I would be riding by myself a lot. This leads me to worry about injury. I know it's not advisable to offroad by yourself in case something happens, so I would assume the same applies to dual sporting. However, living where I do, I can easily hop on the bike and go exploring/riding right away any time.

Do you guys get tired of riding the same trails/road? I'm sure there's plenty of roads around here to keep me busy (even the Bald Eagle state forrest is within 1.5hrs from me).

Anyways, what do you think? Anything else you guys have that can sway me in one direction or another:ride: :)

try this:

go spend 500 bucks on a decent mountain bike

....then go riding the trails around where you live

......do them again and again

........I have found that decent mtn. biking is the most fun I have ever had other than dirt motorcycle riding:banana:

I doubt that you will get bored doing this....and a side benefit is that you will be in decent shape after a couple of months, which will allow you to better appreciate dual-sporting when you do get into it:thumbsup:

....but keep riding that bike too:smirk:

try this:

go spend 500 bucks on a decent mountain bike

....then go riding the trails around where you live

......do them again and again

........I have found that decent mtn. biking is the most fun I have ever had other than dirt motorcycle riding:banana:

I doubt that you will get bored doing this....and a side benefit is that you will be in decent shape after a couple of months, which will allow you to better appreciate dual-sporting when you do get into it:thumbsup:

....but keep riding that bike too:smirk:

I mountain biked for years in high school. Many of the trail systems I used are not open to motorized vehicles:foul: I work out 6 days a week, so the exercise isn't entirely necessary, but it would certainly be a nice alternative to running.

I find it hard to believe I would get bored as well. You wouldn't believe how many nice days last summer I thought to myself, "I would love to hop on a bike and ride to my cabin (cabin is 15 minutes away, and has 1200 acres, not to mention all of the winding mountain dirt roads around it). Ugh, if only I wasn't buying a house:ride:

Just do it:thumbsup: I ride 90% of the time by myself and never get bored.:)

Will you get bored? Do you change hobbies/intrests alot? If so yes. Many people like the idea of doing things more than doing them. Thats why so many people have 3 year old bikes,boats,motorcycles, and jeeps with 10 hours on them. I'd bet once you started looking hard with a bike you'd find more places to ride besides the few roads you know of. Other riders always have "secret" spots and you'll meet them out riding.

As far as riding alone it's almost all i do. I enjoy riding some with others but don't often get to plan ahead. Usually just gear up and go when i can. Work,home and family stuff. I love being alone but more people don't than do. I read some where to ride alone you have to like the company in your helmet. Corny but true.

Look at "Spot" it's a GPS tracking unit. Believe it's sold here and should give piece of mind combined with tools and cell phone. Injuries happen but they could happen on a lonesome country road in you car too. Any decent adventure, even small ones, have some risks.

Buy a cheap used bike if your not sure and try it rather than losing you butt on a new one.

I too live in pa and can't wait to make the pilgrimage to bald eagle this weekend. The weather will be on the cool side but who cares I'll dress for it.

That being said I would say go for it. I love my drz400. Its the most fun I have outside of the bedroom. Besides the fact that payments on a new one are like a 100 bucks a month and the stock bike gets 60 mpg(mine doesn't anymore but its way more fun that way). Anyway the bike is blast on the trails and also fun to ride around town. As well as the fact that they hold their resale value much better than a dirt bike. You could buy a 2 year old drz ride it for a year and sell it for almost what you paid for it.

Will you get bored? Do you change hobbies/intrests alot? If so yes. Many people like the idea of doing things more than doing them. Thats why so many people have 3 year old bikes,boats,motorcycles, and jeeps with 10 hours on them. I'd bet once you started looking hard with a bike you'd find more places to ride besides the few roads you know of. Other riders always have "secret" spots and you'll meet them out riding.

As far as riding alone it's almost all i do. I enjoy riding some with others but don't often get to plan ahead. Usually just gear up and go when i can. Work,home and family stuff. I love being alone but more people don't than do. I read some where to ride alone you have to like the company in your helmet. Corny but true.

Look at "Spot" it's a GPS tracking unit. Believe it's sold here and should give piece of mind combined with tools and cell phone. Injuries happen but they could happen on a lonesome country road in you car too. Any decent adventure, even small ones, have some risks.

Buy a cheap used bike if your not sure and try it rather than losing you butt on a new one.

I don't get bored with hobbies, I just get TOO interested in too many things, then I don't have enough time or money. I'm a very big hunter/fisherman. I've been doing that all my life (24 now). I got into target archery a bit in the last year and now do most of the work on my bows. I'm going to start flyfishing this spring/summer. The only reason I got out of offroading (truck) was because Paragon shut down, and Rausch is a 2.5hr+ drive for me, and I didn't like just having one legal place to go. I'm also into digital photography and now woodworking. It never ends.

However, the idea of having a bike that was street legal has ALWAYS been in the back of my mind since I learned to ride on my 74 Kawasaki 175 when I was 10.

I mountain biked for years in high school. Many of the trail systems I used are not open to motorized vehicles:foul: I work out 6 days a week, so the exercise isn't entirely necessary, but it would certainly be a nice alternative to running.

I find it hard to believe I would get bored as well. You wouldn't believe how many nice days last summer I thought to myself, "I would love to hop on a bike and ride to my cabin (cabin is 15 minutes away, and has 1200 acres, not to mention all of the winding mountain dirt roads around it). Ugh, if only I wasn't buying a house:ride:

I'll vote for the mountain biking thing also. However, my cabin is close to some mountain trails that are way too taxing on this old body - I've tried them on my mountain bike. Only 15 minutes to get to your cabin? It takes me 13 hours. Once there my green DRZ400E lets me get on all those trails without wearing myself out. I like that a bunch.:)

Convince me...Should I Get Into This Hobby?

Anyways, what do you think?

Get a good used bike and ride.

:)

As far as will you get bored with it. I would think running the same trails over and over would get boring, unless you have some buddies to race around with. I know when I just casual trail ride on a Sunday I get bored to tears by myself, unless I'm doing something like riding out to my favorite arrowhead hunting areas. When I've ridden with other guys, it's a lot more fun. Other guys bring a lot more entertainment to the table. However I do enjoy long distance riding by myself, to get away from everybody. I use my dual sport for trail riding in the southwest where you can spend several days covering hundreds of miles and only come across a handful of people. I'd be happier and more comfortble in my 4x4 p/u but it's not cheap to drive. It cost me $500 dollars for fuel round trip from Kansas City to St. George Utah in my p/u versus $100 on my bike. I also use the bike for cheap transportation around town. I almost always end up riding alone, and out in the desert where there is no cell phone towers, and the enviroment is harsh, you have to be well prepared for anything that comes your way. From flat tires, to snake bites. You have to keep water and extra gas on the bike, and you have to be mentally and physically prepared either to walk out (if you walk out, leave a note on the bike as to which direction your going so if the bike is spotted they know which way to look for you) of the desert, or make shelter and stick with the bike and wait for the Calvary to save you. When I've solo hiked or solo riddin in the past it's kinda like the Survivorman show. It's rewarding at the end of the trip, but during the trip everything is quiet, slightly boring, and you end up talking to yourself a lot. I always call my friend or Dad before heading out and let one of them know where about I'll be and when I'll be calling them back, so they know if I don't call at the specific time, then somethings wrong and they will have an idea as to where to search for me. I've been all over Pa, and I can't think of any area where I couldn't find a farm house or road within a half day hike so if worse comes to worse, you should be able to just walk out of the woods unless you break a leg or some other injury that's dibilitating. I would still recomend telling your wife your where abouts and when to expect you home incase of the worst case senerio. To me a dual sport is the way to go because it's not much more cost wise versus a off road bike only, and if fuel prices soar again, you'll have cheap transportation for around town. I've got a basket that quickly hooks to my rack so I have a place to put the milk/groceries, etc when running errands. If you end up not useing it on the road then you just drop your insurance and only use it for off road. In all honesty, it's sounds to me like you'd get bored unless you find some buddies to ride with because afterall you've had similiar vehicles and it seems like you got bored with them quickly or you would still have them or traded them for something newer at the time. Just my thinking, I hate to steer someone away from riding dual sports, but I'd hate to see you finance or drop a bunch a money on something that your gonna end up useing for only summer. Eitherway good luck.

Not to be a jerk or anything but, paragraphs sure make reading easier.

Just sayin'..

I ride offroad in the Cali deserts (Honda 450x)in the winter for about 5 months out of the year.After that it get pretty hot out there and your riding is restricted.

I ride a DS (dr650) the rest of the year on the high mountain fire roads, It is only about in the 70 degree range up there and this gives me year round riding.

I think if you go with a DS it will not take anything away from you offroading but you will find that it will add a lot of extra riding fun that you have not experanced.

I bought both of my bikes(new out the door) on year end close outs and I have 11,500 in both of them. It is a great long term fun investment when you compair it to a lot of other hobbies.

Not to be a jerk or anything but, paragraphs sure make reading easier.

Just sayin'..

Point taken. Sorry I'm also a little long winded sometimes.

Do it you will love it. If you don't like many others have said you can sell it and not loose much at all if you buy used to start with.

I did the very same thing and now own the drz and a ktm 300 for serious woods riding. Like them both but for different reasons. both of mine are 02 but in good shape so if your not keeping up with the Jones you can have 2 bikes for the price of one. Very nice indeed.

I realize you have heard this before but Durangoman I love your avatar.