Sign in to follow this  

top ten must have's for 09 kx450f?

I am new to this forum as well as new to 4-strokes.

I just bought a new kx450f and want to put an exhaust on it and maybe a few trick parts like sprockets, handle bars, levers, etc.

Even though i do not need any aftermarket parts to meet my riding skill level, it's kind of part of the fun for me to dress up the bike with some performance mod's and some bling!

Please list your top ten in order (parts that you would recommend) and brands you would suggest a newbie to purchase for performance and appearance?

Thank's in advance!

Rich

Example of what i was considering although i do not know what brand to look for!

1) wire stand (triangle)

2) some sort of nice bike stand to lift the rear wheel

3) complete exhaust system or slip on (something light)

4) Pro-taper bars

5) Grips

6) brake and clutch levers and perch's

7) gold chain and new sprockets

8) excell wheels

9) tires

10) stickers (manufacturers)

I love the look of the team bikes with all the sponsor stickers:)

Well this is a tough one!!!! but green rad hoses are cool!!!! and the pillow top grips work well for me!!!!

Yep spend every dollar you can on susp first get it set up so it will turn better.From there if an exhaust is a must check out the MRD pipe full system for like $450 bucks and they work great with lifetime warranty From there id invest in a xring chain and a good steel sprocket like ironman or something..Get a few no toil air filters and rotate them every ride and with fresh oil she will treat you good..These bikes run hot for some reason I put on a Boyesen super cooler kit plus engine ice and it runs much cooler..:)

1) a quiet muffler, like a Q4 or something... the KX is LOUD!!!...http://www.fmfracing.com/default_detail.aspx?m=motocross&cat=380 2) Flexxbars.. http://www.fasstco.com/ makes every fork smoother,every cased landing easier on the wrists ...3) springs for your weight... 4)Loudmouth filter... more flow, easier change...http://loudmouthmx.com/sitex/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=6&Itemid=59 5) Boyesen supercooler http://www.boyesen.com/cwo/OFFROAD/Products#sc 6) GoPro.. so we can see your exploits http://www.goprocamera.com/ 7) Carbon Baby!! http://www.lightspeedperf.com/products/index.php?action=category&id=15&subid

Thanks for all the input so far....I believe i did miss the gas and oil which should be #1 on the list and Insurance which i believe is very important at #2

Also air filter, got to get....I like the idea of two and rotating them to always have a clean pre-oiled filter.

I actually contacted pro action today and ordered a set of springs to match my weight and i am considering having them re-valve the shocks but have to wait since they told me it would take a week or so and i can't part with the bike right now.

I am leaning towards the FMF pipe simply because i like the look of a shorter pipe. Is that the shortest or is there a shorter one? I don't like the mufflers that stick out.

I am going to check out the Boyesen super cooler and some Purple Ice

Really the thing that is killing me the most is i want an exhaust system fast but am torn between a few...I believe they all perform, i want one that the header does not stick out too far and the muffler is short so it does not hang off the back.....(also i want a light and semi quite system) Any suggestions.

Not to go off topic but a claim of 2 hp gain across the entire rang with the loud mouth kit I mean come on how do they get away with that!!!!!

Thats what I say is definately number 1. My 09 was easily the loudest bike I have ever had until I changed out the stock silencer. How a silencer so big is so freakin loud is beyond me.
Any notice in power change ???

No, but everything has been frozen here. I went with the Fmf Q4. The stock silencer was so loud I swear it kept me from burying the throttle sometimes. I'm sure it lost alittle, but these bikes can handle losing alittle and gaining making it easier to ride. Tim

bike come in today! I had them next day air in a complete titanium FMF Mega bomb exhaust system with the Ti muffler. After reading all the horror stories about the stock exhaust sound i don't even want to ride it until it is in the sale bin (ebay). I figured better to sell it brand new, might give me an edge over a couple others that might be for sale that have been ridden slightly!

Also picked up a stainless oil filter, some oil for the first oil changes and a twin-air air filter and a gold chain (bling)

I also have the Eibach springs sent to me to match my weight. Tommorrow i plan on checking over the bike, greasing and tightening everything and throwing it in the woods for a nice easy break in.

I am thinking about ordering the boysen water pump kit and some green hoses. Anyone know if $200 is an ok price and are these a good quality?

BRAND NEW CV4 Radiator Hoses Kit

Part#C140G

Color; Geen

This kit is the "Y" kit; it will replace all of the plastic T connectors.

Get on ebay and get the hoses. You can get the complete kit for like 70 bucks or something from asi. What I plan to get for mine in this order is:

1. Pre printed backgrounds from fusion graffix

2. Pro taper contour bars/oversized mounts/new grips

3. DID X Ring Chain/Possibly sprockets

4. Hopefully Suspension(hard for a college student to come up with $500 plus with no job)

I do believe one should have a couple of new air filters laying around, new oil, new break pads, and new levers.

Thanks for all the input so far....I believe i did miss the gas and oil which should be #1 on the list and Insurance which i believe is very important at #2

Also air filter, got to get....I like the idea of two and rotating them to always have a clean pre-oiled filter.

I actually contacted pro action today and ordered a set of springs to match my weight and i am considering having them re-valve the shocks but have to wait since they told me it would take a week or so and i can't part with the bike right now.

I am leaning towards the FMF pipe simply because i like the look of a shorter pipe. Is that the shortest or is there a shorter one? I don't like the mufflers that stick out.

I am going to check out the Boyesen super cooler and some Purple Ice

Really the thing that is killing me the most is i want an exhaust system fast but am torn between a few...I believe they all perform, i want one that the header does not stick out too far and the muffler is short so it does not hang off the back.....(also i want a light and semi quite system) Any suggestions.

Yes, yes, yes.

Loud pipes that stick out suck!

What is the shortest quietest pipe for this bike?

my top 10

1....folding levers

2....choice suspension

3....spare set of wheels sprockets and disks (our race meeting are now 2 day events)

4....twin wall bars and renthal risers to match

5....2 spare air filters

6....oil and filters in the shed

7....tyres and tubes in the shed

8....new pipe because i topped out on a 55 double and now have bent header.

9....custom graphics done

10....looks like im done for now

So much for the top ten! I blew that one............

Full Titanium FMF 4.1 exhasut system with mega bomb header

Sunline titanium foot pegs

CR-4 green hose kit

pro taper cr tall bars/ grips/ alum twist throttle

sun line clutch perch and handles

filtron stainless oil filter

boyesen water pump

eibach springs

twin air filter

tm designworks chain guide complete set and rear brake gaurd

works connection engine plug kit and oil fil plug

did racing chain

renthal black sprocket +2

engine ice

Hinson clutch cover

ordered stainless brake lines

Im sure i forgot something.........

Looking for a sweet graphics kit and possibly a stepped seat!