Sign in to follow this  

Idle problem with WR250

Hello all, I have an 04 WR250 that has a little issue with idling. I've changed the plug and gotten new premium gas in it, but it didn't seem to help this problem. The bike will idle high, then low, then high without any throttle input.

I believe it is also running lean, as indicated by red hot exhaust pipe...

Could be an air leak, that will cause high idle. Have you had the carb off the intake manifold? Check the clamps on the rubber boots to the carb, they should be tight. Also, does it backfire on deceleration? Another indicator of lean condition, check fuel screw and see if its out more than 3 turns. One other item to check is the hot start. It can stick open, then be pulled back down with vacuum. Pull the hot start out, make sure the rubber seal on the bottom is in good condition. Make sure the cable is free and works easily and has proper slack and is not hanging or pulling when the bars are turned. If you still have the plastic top that screws into the carb, consider the aluminum replacement from ZypTie. Last thing to check is the throttle cables. Make sure they have proper slack and are not pulling the slide up. Check those things in any order, any one could be the issue, or you may find several are issues. Good luck. I did listen to the vid and its idling up there pretty high.

i have the same problem on my 03 and i just rebuilt it. i think it is the choke. take it off and look at the o ring is it worn if so change it im gunna try it. i gotta buy a new choke anyways bec mine wont stay out. u can buy one here at tts store on oem parts