Sign in to follow this  

metak shavings in the oil

bought the bike after a bottom end and top end rebuild rode it a couple times changed the oil. I noticed some shavings in the oil, metal ones that is, that is normal after a rebuild?

I know you are supposed to change the oil pretty quickly just wanted to make sure I didn't do any damage.

Sounds normal to me, should not notice much shavings the next time around.

yeah its normal when u change the oil change the filter too because theres alot of metal in it.

I replaced the filter just purchased one of the metal reusable ones and filled her up with Bel Ray oil. The oil was pretty black, I had not put more then 6 hours on it tops probably more like 4. I did notice when I took a quick ride after changing it she stayed much cooler and shifted smoother, or at least I felt like she did.

bought the bike after a bottom end and top end rebuild rode it a couple times changed the oil. I noticed some shavings in the oil, metal ones that is, that is normal after a rebuild?
I suppose that depends on what these shavings look like (photo?), how good your filter is working (installed right?) and also what parts were changed when the case was split (gears?).

I didn't do the rebuild the shop I bought it from did, they replaced the rod, crank, bearings didn't mention gears. Shavings looked like shavings little tiny specs of metal they weren't chuncks or anythings. The filter that was in there was in the correct way and way really dark but as far as I could tell working correctly. The bikes after the rebuild wa broken in and then sat for a year before I bought it.

If it was rebuilt, then maybe the shavings are left overs from the original engine failure.

My buddies yz made metal for a while after rebuild, it eventually cleared out with no problems.

I know you are supposed to change the oil pretty quickly after a rebuild like have the normal recomended time if not less, how many times should that be done?