Sign in to follow this  

first 2 stroke...Help!

Purchased my first 2 stroke ive been riding for about 5 years now and always been on some sort of 4 stroke.

I decided it was time i give a 2 stroke a shot and see what its all about.

I purchased a 2006 yz250 with a days ride on it. it was to much for the kid.

What do i needa know about 2 strokes? Best oils. best plugs? any tips tricks on making them run better?

What is the stock suspensin sprung for weight wise?

any info yall might have. il be doing lots of searching as well

Thanks again

You'll answer a majority of those questions yourself with continued search on this forum and some serious R&D in the saddle. Get to know her as she is now and figure out what YOU want the bike to be. The YZ 250 can be made to suit just about any riding style if you want to put forth the time, money and effort. Good luck on your quest, you're gonna have a blast! Welcome to the 2-stroke.

Purchased my first 2 stroke ive been riding for about 5 years now and always been on some sort of 4 stroke.

I decided it was time i give a 2 stroke a shot and see what its all about.

I purchased a 2006 yz250 with a days ride on it. it was to much for the kid.

What do i needa know about 2 strokes?

It is cheaper to repair than a 4, power is more fun, they vibrate a bit

Best oils.

Best oil is subjective. In the nineties I really liked PJ1, I am currently running Amsoil because I got a great deal on a couple gallon jugs.

best plugs?

NGK, cheap, reliable, always available.

any tips tricks on making them run better?

Two strokes are EXTREMELY responsive to proper jetting. You will get the hang of it, but it may be frustrating at first. Learn the bike well, because when you do it will almost talk to you and tell you what it needs.

If you think the power is too violent, there is a sticky at the top of this forum that talks about retarding timing slightly. As far as I understand these bikes like high octane fuel in stock condition because the timing is a bit hot. Additionally you can add a flywheel weight to calm the power down a bit.

What is the stock suspensin sprung for weight wise?

Probably 180lb intermediate riders. The 2006 was generally praised for its outstanding suspension.

any info yall might have. il be doing lots of searching as well

Thanks again

Enjoy the bike :)

Welcome to the club! I've been in 2-strokes for about 15 years now.

These are the tried and true choices I use without question:

Best oils:

Premix: MC-1 @ 50:1...so one of the small bottles to 5 gal. It's synthetic so when you break in a new piston, use a bean oil for the first hour(castor 927 @ 32:1)

Gear oil: Gear saver 80-90 or 80w. It starts out pink and I change it when it turns purple.

Best plugs:

NGK. I don't need all the fancy platinum and crap...I've never worn out a plug, just replace them with jetting changes and carry a few.

Tips:

djmamayek hit this one very well. Keep oil in the tranny and oil in the gas and I've yet to blow one up. Keep the air filter clean since they are expensive when they suck dirt. High octane gas(101-110) gets more reliable jetting, that way I know the gas is good and leaded lubricates well.

Enjoy!

I've run 32:1 Castrol in my 2 strokes for years without a problem. I always put premium gas in my bikes.

As far as the suspension, Helmet Hair hit it on the nail. Without some time in the saddle for your riding style and conditions, it is too hard to offer advice.

Ride it as you normally would and see what you do and don't like about it.

You can download a manual for it from the following url:

http://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/community/service/manuals.jsp