Sign in to follow this  

changing trans oil - what a pita!!

Man - what a cluster and mess. Even a big oil pan and a "customized" funnel that I was able to stick near the drain bolt hole turned my garage into an Exxon Valdeze nightmare.

I may remove the shifter next time - the frame guard is a PITA to remove. I will also try to spend more time to create a oil catcher that I can wedge close to the hole. I don't see how the Man Funnel would work but I'll check into that too.

Anyhow - it's done and I feel better - but what a MESS!

Mike

I just use a catch pan that is about 18" round in diameter, then pour that into a jug for disposal. Don't pull the plug all the way out until most of it has drained. Sure, you get some oil on the lower frame, but it wipes right off. Leave the bike on the kickstand so it leans the proper direction.

Yeah, it really isn't that bad...nothing that can't be cleaned up real quick. However it really isn't fun with the flatland racing skid plate. :/

Yeah, it really isn't that bad...nothing that can't be cleaned up real quick. However it really isn't fun with the flatland racing skid plate. :/

I just pull my Rooster skid plate. It only takes a minute and it's good to knock the dirt out of there anyway. (The pressure washer doesn't always get all of it.)

I take mine off as well, It is just a little bit of a pain. I hear you about the mud getting underneath the skid plate, I just taped mine off with some duct tape and it works nicely. Before I did that, I would get like 3lbs of mud in there.

I cut up a 16oz water bottle to make a custom funnel that catches almost all of it an channels it into my drain pan.

I use the Billy Man Funnel....it works ok. The trans oil is definitely not as easy as the engine oil.

I never take my bash plate off. I get a short piece of 1 1/2" or 2" PVC (I think everybody has some of that stuff laying around) and saw it in half lengthwize with a chop saw. Stuff the half-pipe under the engine drain screw from the side, lean the bike over, and let it run. It usually doesn't make a mess, but I do generally drain the oil with the bike on the grass just in case :).

JayC

I time my oil changes for around when my X needs a wash and let the oil flow then I wash the whole bike. (Swap the air cleaner, tighten spokes/nuts/bolts, lube the chain and plan the next trip.)