Sign in to follow this  

Maybe a Suzuki?

Hey guys,

I am in the market for a 250 2t. I am considering either a 2002-up Husky WR250 or a Suzuki. I am not considering a Honda(no power), KTM(no suspension), Yamaha(started the freakin' 4t thing), and Kawi(no dealer around me). I am a little concerned with the aftermarket and bike availability of the Husky. So I'm at a crossroads. Which Suzuki is best for me? I am 6' tall, a novice rider, trails only for now, must be a good hill climber(40-50 foot tall hills that are very steep), and it must have lots of power all over, not just on top. Which would be best for me?

if u want a 250 2t get the suzuki but if ur climbing hills all the time u can do it on a 2t but ud better keep it in the power band or get a 4t and just putt up and down hills but theres not much fun in that is there!

Also, I ride on ATV trails. What year is best for me? I have about a $2000-$3000 budget.

You can get a really nice RM for the $$$ your talking about, at least around here.

I just recently picked up an '01 RM250 in very good shape for $1800.

Here's my opinion so far on the bike. First trail ride went with off pretty good. The bike feels extremely light weight and nimble in the trees. The only thing that bothered me is the riding position coming downhills. But I believe that is a combination of seat foam that's too soft and pedal and shifter positions. I got on my buddies CR250 and felt much more comfortable.

Next couple of rides where at an arenacross. Bike felt really good in the air and I felt pretty good overall. That was until I rode my buddies YZ450 for a session. Wow what a difference in my confidence. I would not hesitate at all to jump most of the doubles. On my RM I didn't feel like I had the power on tap to clear some of them.

Next ride the guy on the 450 and I went to the nastiest root infested tight trails that I've ever been on. We're talking 1st gear averaging 2.5 miles an hour for miles on end. Both bikes were really pretty good here. I could pull the guy on the 450 just about anywhere. We switched bikes again for a few miles and I could still pull him with me on the 450 and it was pretty good but not nearly as light feeling. I think you'd really get wore out at the end of the day. The one place where he had me was on the on the really nasty uphills. The 4 stroke would get traction where I was spinning and deflecting every which direction off of all the wet roots.

I've never been a Suzuki fan growing up, always rode Yamaha's and a few Honda's. But so far I'm really happy with the way the bike performs offroad. It's a good solid bike that will hold it's own against any bike. If I was doing more MX than I am right now I'd just get a thumper for that and keep the RM for the tight nasty's.

Oh i forgot to add. The bike has great low end but seems to fall on its face on the top. Might be why I didn't like it on the arenacross but love it in the trails. I need to check into the powervalve and make sure it's not sticky. Or maybe it's the fww. Might be a whole different ball game on the MX track if I can find some more topend.

I used to have an 04 RM 250 and loved it! I would highly recommend an 04-06 and you can easily get one for 2K. You could even buy the sucker for 2K, then put your personal touches on it and still be under the 3K mark! They have a ton of power all over and can climb hills just fine.:)

• Like 1

i just bought an 04 for 1200, I got a hell of a deal. the 04+ is much better than the 01-03. they redid the motor in 04 to make more low end and they fixed the over rev problem that the 01-03 had, they actually left the crank slightly out of balance which somehow allowed the bike to hook up better. They changed the rear suspension linkage, and also the forks, which made the setup much better in 04. I love my 04 it has great power all over and revs to the mooon! I'm 5' 11" 200 lb and it hauls with me on it. They also lowered the seat height and moved the foot pegs back a bit so the riding position is also much improved. If you're going to do a lot of trails, I would just recommend a weighted flywheel, and I've heard you get pretty good gains down low with the fmf gnarly pipe. Definately go with an 04+ they are great bikes. here is a good review http://www.motorcycledaily.com/01august03_2004suzukimx.htm

Oh dirtrider also has a good review on there site, they were VERY impressed with the power the 04 made