Sign in to follow this  

Malcom Smith Motorsports is going to sell banned motorcycles

Cheers to you Malcom Smith and friends. :) I agree that kids do need to ride! I did before I was 12. This little ones shouldn't be robbed of their 2 wheels. :banghead:

100k fine for each unit sold. Malcolm has big kahoonies and matching wallet. If he does, I hope it makes enough noise to get some media attention. I think when most people learn how far reaching this legislation is, they don't like it a bit.

100k fine for each unit sold. Malcolm has big kahoonies and matching wallet. If he does, I hope it makes enough noise to get some media attention. I think when most people learn how far reaching this legislation is, they don't like it a bit.

I think that it's an "up to 100k fine" kind of thing. When I fought a bogus spark arrestor ticket in federal court I was told that the fine could be up to $100k. The actual fine that the prosecutor was looking for was only $60, but I got him to drop the case when I showed him my evidence.

I think that it's an "up to 100k fine" kind of thing. When I fought a bogus spark arrestor ticket in federal court I was told that the fine could be up to $100k. The actual fine that the prosecutor was looking for was only $60, but I got him to drop the case when I showed him my evidence.

I would bet that because this event is a purposeful disregard of the regulation, and since many infractions will likely take place, the fine(s) will be higher than your $60 fine.

The "max" fine is a way to not totally screw you if the infraction was indeed unintended. However, if you knowingly and willingly broke the law, the book can surely be thrown in your direction for max fines.

IMO, Malcom would be better served staging a protest in which he gets all his friends/fellow OHVers with kids under 12 and their existing bikes (sold before the ban) to gather at the capitol and march in full riding gear, etc... You know, instead of willfully breaking the law.

I would bet that because this event is a purposeful disregard of the regulation, and since many infractions will likely take place, the fine(s) will be higher than your $60 fine.

The "max" fine is a way to not totally screw you if the infraction was indeed unintended. However, if you knowingly and willingly broke the law, the book can surely be thrown in your direction for max fines.

IMO, Malcom would be better served staging a protest in which he gets all his friends/fellow OHVers with kids under 12 and their existing bikes (sold before the ban) to gather at the capitol and march in full riding gear, etc... You know, instead of willfully breaking the law.

Oh yea I'm sure it would not be a small two figure fine, I just meant to say it might not automatically be 100k.

I think that Malcom might be taking the words of our BillP to heart. It's not just breaking the law, it's civil disobedience done with full knowledge and a purpose. I say more power to him.

It has to be a media stunt……I think his is going load the kids bikes into his high profile buddy’s trucks and watch them drive off. The next day all the 50’s, 80s and 100s will be back in the MS warehouse so when the LEAD Police show he will have his entire inventory. (and give them a big F you )

With that said I hope it works…….

I have a question…..why can’t Honda, Yamaha, Polaris, KTM and so on ….. Just put a big warning sticker on all of these bikes, quads & parts saying This product is not indented for children under 12 years old and be done with this? That way it is up to me as the parent if I want to subject my childern to all that lead. :)

I

the book can surely be thrown in your direction for max fines.

Mayby the thrown book will make it out the window:thumbsup:

I still can't fathom the fact that what he is intending to do is illegal. I started riding when I was 5. Motocross has been a huge part of my life and I hate to think it might not be that way when I have kids. I hope more people like Malcom step up and sell their machines. Killing someone is illegal, littering is illegal, kids on dirtbikes should NOT be illegal.

class |klas|

noun

1 a set or category of things ... differentiated from others by kind, type, or quality (see Malcolm Smith)

2 informal impressive stylishness in appearance or behavior

showing stylish excellence (see Malcolm Smith)

PHRASES

class act a person or thing displaying impressive and stylish excellence. (See Malcolm Smith):

malcolmsmith.jpg

Glad I bought my sons TTR50 for xmas. I don't have to deal with this stupidity :banghead:

I sent some friends looking for their sons birthday to Malcom's tomorrow to get a bike. I told them this may be their last chance for some time :)

What a pain it the ass, I went to buy my son a new bike and they said no way! :banghead: Good for Malcom Smith! I am buying a used one tomorrow! :) These Politicians need to step the F___k back! :banghead:

they banned small dirtbikes because of lead poisoning exposure to children?

The motorcycles themselves have not been declared illegal. The manufacturers have pulled them off the market because the CPSC has no mechanism in place to comply with the CPSIA legislation. Therefore they dumped it back on the manufacturer, until the CPSC comes up with a way to comply with the legislation they'll allow the sales. BUT! If they decide that those vehicles did pose a threat then they will be fined in arrears. So facing the risk of the unknown or the known loss of writing off the units in inventory, the chose the known over the unknown.

Here's the great letter I got from Senator Boxer:

Thank you for writing to me with your concerns about the new lead and toxin testing requirements in the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act. I appreciate hearing from you.

As you noted, the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (P.L.110-314) was signed into law on August 14, 2008 and went into effect on February 10, 2009. This law limits lead content and bans phthalates - toxins known to have adverse effects on children's health - in toys and other children's products.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is working to promulgate regulations to implement this legislation now. I will work with the CPSC to ensure that clear, commonsense guidance is provided as quickly as possible.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please feel free to write to me in the future about this or any other issue of concern to you.

Barbara Boxer

United States Senator

I think that Malcom might be taking the words of our BillP to heart. It's not just breaking the law, it's civil disobedience done with full knowledge and a purpose. I say more power to him.

Right on. Malcolm and I talked it over and he agree's with me 100%. Power to the people!!!! :):banghead:

The motorcycles themselves have not been declared illegal. The manufacturers have pulled them off the market because the CPSC has no mechanism in place to comply with the CPSIA legislation. Therefore they dumped it back on the manufacturer, until the CPSC comes up with a way to comply with the legislation they'll allow the sales. BUT! If they decide that those vehicles did pose a threat then they will be fined in arrears. So facing the risk of the unknown or the known loss of writing off the units in inventory, the chose the known over the unknown.

Here's the great letter I got from Senator Boxer:

Thank you for writing to me with your concerns about the new lead and toxin testing requirements in the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act. I appreciate hearing from you.

As you noted, the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (P.L.110-314) was signed into law on August 14, 2008 and went into effect on February 10, 2009. This law limits lead content and bans phthalates - toxins known to have adverse effects on children's health - in toys and other children's products.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is working to promulgate regulations to implement this legislation now. I will work with the CPSC to ensure that clear, commonsense guidance is provided as quickly as possible.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please feel free to write to me in the future about this or any other issue of concern to you.

Barbara Boxer

United States Senator

Got the same letter via E mail yesterday......

Family friend who LIVES because of this sport! It is what keeps him wanting to fight for his life. In and out of the hospital his whole life. Yet all he wants to do and thinks of is racing. Josh is a great kid like so many who NEED this sport for numerous reasons.

Malcom is true CLASS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ISeSAyFMj8&feature=email