Rad valve years

I was looking at some boyesen rad valve part numbers and it shows that they have a differant part number for 2005 and up than 2004 and down. I was wondering if someone could tell me what the differance is between them. The v force reeds say they fit 97 to current. I got a chance at good deal on a rad valve but it is the older style I thought for sure it would work. Then I noticed the part numbers. Any help is appreciated

I called boyesen and they were pretty helpful when I was trying to put a RAD valve of different year on my bike. It was a different part # than what was called for on my bike, but they were able to tell me what the difference was. I bought it in new condition at 1/4 the cost of new. A little research paid off-- I was able to use it.

Thanks for the help. I contacted Boyesen great customer service by the way. This is what they told me. The RAD34I & RAD34J do have the same aluminum reed cages. The main difference between them is the reeds. However, the reeds are interchangeable, and you could install the RAD34J reeds (part # PSR-034) onto the RAD34I valve.

They dont fit exactly right if you dont stay somewhat year specific. The reed assembly will bolt on the engine with no problem. The issue is the intake on the carb. The intake boot changed a lot between 97-98 and 99-01 and maybe 2002 to present. If you use the older rad valve on a newer bike, the carb sits at a goofy angle. You can bend things around, but it could be easier. For 1/4 of the cost, I would be willing to put some muscle into it. Nice find!

Theres quite a difference in the design as well.

2005+

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=55339

<2004

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=55340

Boyesen should be really commended for continue to develop it's products. The change to the later version was noticeable on my 05 model. Even the 04 version that had been used for many years was still better than the VF3 and definetely better than stock. One of the better modifications:thumbsup: