Lots Of Metal In Engine Oil!!!!

2005 CRF450X. 2500 miles. Easy life, trailriding. Not much high rpm stuff. Changing the oil I noticed more than normal amount of metal flakes in the oil filter. Took a look at the oil in the drain pan and this is what I found. Run a magnet through the chips, nothing sticks to it. The big flakes are aluminum and the fine stuff is bronze colored. I guess this must be crank thrust washers?

Metal450013.jpg

Metal450012.jpg

Metal450011.jpg

Metal450010.jpg

2005 CRF450X. 2500 miles. Easy life, trailriding. Not much high rpm stuff. Changing the oil I noticed more than normal amount of metal flakes in the oil filter. Took a look at the oil in the drain pan and this is what I found. Run a magnet through the chips, nothing sticks to it. The big flakes are aluminum and the fine stuff is bronze colored. I guess this must be crank thrust washers?

Metal450013.jpg

Metal450012.jpg

Metal450011.jpg

Metal450010.jpg

"More than normal" ?? .. "normal" is NO metail shavings in your oil (seen by the naked eye anyway).

Brass or gold color is only one thing... thrust washer. Non-magnetic shavings are more than likely piston skirt. Don't ask me how I know.... But it's not cheap.

And ride it, heck no... I'd not even start it!! ... tear it down, replace the crank assembly and anything that says bearing or seal on the micro-fiche. As well... swap out the Ti valves for SS while your there. Oh, and don't forget to replace your oil pump for safe measure. (... as well as valve stem seals... etc.etc)

What's the oil filter look like??? It had to do the 'filtering' job too...

Sucks anyway you slice it. Not a cheap find.

Yeah, I am not impressed. I have read for years about tranny problems, valve problems, but don't remember reading anything about crank problems. Well maybe with hard use and racing. My valves haven't moved yet and never have had a tranny problem. It's pretty sad when the original battery lasts longer than the crank. So what do you recommend for a crank? Stock or aftermarket?

I would at least pull the head and cylinder to see what kind of slop is in there if any and then go from there. My piston skirt started to come apart on the last ride, so I will be doing the same thing this weekend. Luckily I have a 650 to take it's place when down.

More than normal" ?? .. "normal" is NO metail shavings in your oil (seen by the naked eye anyway).Brass or gold color is only one thing... thrust washer. Non-magnetic shavings are more than likely piston skirt. Don't ask me how I know.... But it's not cheap.

]

I didn't say anything about the metal in the oil being more than normal. I said:

"I noticed more than normal amount of metal flakes in the oil filter."

I assume you've looked at an oil filter before and noticed little metal flakes from normal wear.

Then I went and looked at the oil and knew I was screwed.

]

I didn't say anything about the metal in the oil being more than normal. I said:

"I noticed more than normal amount of metal flakes in the oil filter."

I assume you've looked at an oil filter before and noticed little metal flakes from normal wear.

Then I went and looked at the oil and knew I was screwed.

.. I heard ya. :banghead:

And I guess I should have said; "normal" is NO metail flakes in your oil filter.

So no... I usually don't see metal, alum, alloys, or any type of metal flakes or shavings, or ... whatever in my oil. Period. In fact, I even have the "magnetizer"s for oil cap and crank cap and still... no flakes ... ever. Unless the damage is already done.

I have seen the oils get dirty... or have a different "sheen" to them. But oil flakes (like as in Goldschlaeger Alcohol - or smaller?)... not Norm on my bike. ?

I had the same problem with my 05 crf250r. I tore it all apart and found brass shavings all over the inside of the engine. I managed to find a brand new wiseco crankshaft, bearings, complete bottom end gasket, and seal kit on ebay for $200, not a bad deal since a stock crank alone is about $300.

Nope. Always check the oil level. Change the oil and filter every 300-400 miles. Never any dirt past the air filter. And that picture of the oil and metal on the paper towel is probably darker because I wiped the metal out of the oil pan and that oil pan gets old oil out of all my rigs and sits out in the open collecting dust as well.

Got to take it down and rebuild it is all. Very doable. I would go with a Hotrods heavy duty crank, OEM bearings, seals, and gaskets then get the head done with OEM exhausts and KW or TRX SS intakes. New cam chain too. When it goes back together it'll be better than new. Maybe a Wiseco piston too.

Yeah better than new for that part. Then I just have to wait for the tranny to blow next. ?

Yeah better than new for that part. Then I just have to wait for the tranny to blow next. ?

I hear you. I wouldn't assume your transmission will go bad though. Knock on wood I've never had a single issue with the transmission on my '05 450X. It does happen but considering the number of 450X bikes in use these days transmission problems are pretty rare. Besides that, you'll have a chance to check out all the guts when the new crank goes in and replace anything questionable. When the new crank got done on my 450X it got all new everything listed as a bearing or seal.