Sign in to follow this  

pw gearing

I purchased a qt rear section complete less drive shaft.When I recieve it do I need to change out the gears to the pw unit or will this bolt on.I'd like to just repack the qt unit with grease and use it so that we can change it back easily.From the pitures it looks the same although not sure if the axle etc is the same.All the posts I found mention pressing out the gear from the axle but not sure if this is required when buying the complete unit.

Thanks

I believe the axle shaft is a different length between the PW and QT by an inch or more.

At least is was on mine, thus the reason for needing the shaft pressed out of the PW and into the QT gear.

Any machine shop should be able to do it really cheap

I swapped in the QT pinion and gear as a set, I don't know if you can match up a PW pinion to a QT gear ring

Thanks for the reply,i'll look at the differances when i get it.I suppose i'll be needing a special wrench to remove the pinion gear.

thanks again

what did you do when you received your new gears?? was there a length difference to where you have to press it? i just purchased a complete assembly and was wondering

I recieved my parts but haven't had a chance to work on it yet.It does look like the shaft is shorter though.I plan on trying it shortly.

yes the axle is shorter,i changed t out this evening,