Sign in to follow this  

Desert Race Sag?

I need help from my fellow off roaders. I looked at one sight about race sag and it said for desert, you should run 112mm sag. Anybody else doing this for desert and has it helped? I've been running the standard 100mm sag but wanted to know what everybody else was doing in the desert. I do understand that the increased sag will lower the rear end and help keep the front end light, so maybe it's worth a shot. Anybody with any experience with this, please share!:)

If your screen name is an indicator of your machine, I'd certainly recommend going to 112mm of sag. I generally run as much sag as I can get away with before the ride starts to deteriorate in areas.

With a mild motor and a heavy bike, more sag will be a definite help. With lots of traction/power/and tall gearing you get away w/ less.

Even w/ those bikes it won't hurt to experiment. My primary desert bike was a YZ250 (until some bonehead decided to drive into me head-on), and a 525 Supermoto. In both cases I run as much sag as feels comfortable even though there's plenty of power from both bikes.

I don't get too carried away w/ splitting hairs over a handful of millimeters, as long as the spring is right. If you have the right rate fiddle 'til it feels right. If the rate is off, you'll have a hard time finding something that won't always feel wrong at some point.

I suppose what I didn't say at first is that the only complaint I ever seem to hear consistently about the DRZ400 is their weight issue, which exacerbates sand riding even when an engine has adequate power. So keeping the front end high on those bikes will yield maximum results as opposed to a large bore MX bike, which will still benefit, but doesn't have power and weight liabilities.

I used to have a 450X and the best handling, even in the desert was to slide the forks up to a groove that's on the fork tube.

I don't know why this would make sense in the dez.

My son(and you probably no him #6 NMDRC) is the one who figured it out.

I used to have a 450X and the best handling, even in the desert was to slide the forks up to a groove that's on the fork tube.

I don't know why this would make sense in the dez.

My son(and you probably no him #6 NMDRC) is the one who figured it out.

It's nice to have a local New Mexican give me input. Thank you. I have already slid my forks up about a quarter of an inch in the triple clamp. Do you think that is enough or should I go more. If your son is #6, I definately don't know him yet:worthy: .

Hodaddyb: Thanks for the advice and I will experiment and see what works. Race sag and it's purpose just seem confusing to me.

It's nice to have a local New Mexican give me input. Thank you. I have already slid my forks up about a quarter of an inch in the triple clamp. Do you think that is enough or should I go more. If your son is #6, I definately don't know him yet:worthy: .

Hodaddyb: Thanks for the advice and I will experiment and see what works. Race sag and it's purpose just seem confusing to me.

I have already slid my forks up about a quarter of an inch in the triple clamp. Do you think that is enough or should I go more.

There is a definite groove on the fork tube. Slide it so it is flush with the top of the triple clamp. It could be about 1/4". Also set your sag at 4".

I would try Daves taco sauce in the forks. Should relieve arm fatigue.

I have already slid my forks up about a quarter of an inch in the triple clamp. Do you think that is enough or should I go more.

There is a definite groove on the fork tube. Slide it so it is flush with the top of the triple clamp. It could be about 1/4". Also set your sag at 4".

I would try Daves taco sauce in the forks. Should relieve arm fatigue.[/QUOTE]

I DON'T GET IT! IS THAT A JOKE OR WHAT? SERIOUSLY, IS THERE SOMETHING TO THIS?

I ALSO WANTED TO COMMENT ON YOUR SON. I WAS IN A BAD WRECK AT THE BEGINNING OF THE RACE AND WENT OVER THE HANDLEBARS. MY NUMBER IS 475 IF THAT TELLS YOU ANYTHING. I HIT THE GROUND CHEST FIRST WHICH KNOCKED THE AIR OUT OF ME. IT TOOK ME A WHILE TO CATCH MY BREATH AND GET MY BEARING BACK BECAUSE IT RANG MY BELL PRETTY GOOD. I MANAGED TO START RACING AGAIN IN THE MIDST OF THE 800 NUMBERS. I RODE THE REST OF THE RACE IN PAIN, BUT FINISHED AHEAD OF FIVE PEOPLE IN MY CLASS.

ANYWAY, TO MY POINT! TOWARDS THE END OF MY SECOND LOOP, I GOT LAPPED BY FOUR EXPERTS. YOUR SON BEING ONE OF THEM. I KNEW THEY WERE COMING AND DID MY BEST TO GET THE HELL OUT OF THEIR WAY. SINCE I KNOW YOUR SON WAS ONE WHO PASSED ME, I WANT YOU TO THANK HIM FOR ME. HE WAS VERY PATIENT AND I BELIEVE HE SAID THANK YOU TO ME FOR GETTING OUT OF HIS WAY. THERE HAVE BEEN TIMES WHEN I HAVE BEEN RUN COMPLETELY OFF THE TRAIL BY EXPERT LAPPERS AND THEN SOME HAVE SEEMED TO ROOST THE HELL OUT OF YOU UNTIL THERE OUT OF SIGHT. YOUR SON WAS VERY CLASSY AND I APPRICIATE IT VERY MUCH AND I HOPE THAT SOMEHOW, SOMEDAY, I CAN REPAY THE FAVOR. ONCE AGAIN, TELL HIM THANK YOU FOR ME!:):banghead: You should be very proud of the way he handles himself!

I DON'T GET IT! IS THAT A JOKE OR WHAT? SERIOUSLY, IS THERE SOMETHING TO THIS?

DaveJ in the suspension forum sells fork oil they can "Dave's Taco Sauce". It's supposed to be some ubber suspension fluid.

DaveJ in the suspension forum sells fork oil they can "Dave's Taco Sauce". It's supposed to be some ubber suspension fluid.

Oh, okay that make more sense.:) Thanks!