Sign in to follow this  

90-96 CR250 forks

Does anyone know the pros and cons of these forks. I found a clean pair for only $75 and it got me wondering. This would go on a 2000 XR400. Does the front wheel swap over?

There were several different forks used in that range and most of them sucked. You're best off having the stock forks revalved.

For $75 you can't go wrong with that. I used 2000 CR125 forks and the stock XR wheel did not swap over. I spent close to $500 on all the parts for mine off of ebay. If you do the swap and end up not liking it, I am sure you would be able to get your money back from selling it. I love mine, and think they are 10 times better than stock or stock revalved with a fork brace.

The only drawback is not as shape turning............but I can live with that for the added performance. I've just gotted good at steering with the throttle :)

There were several different forks used in that range and most of them sucked. You're best off having the stock forks revalved.

My stock fork is already re-sprung and re-valved so I probably wouldn't gain much from the usd fork.

My stock fork is already re-sprung and re-valved so I probably wouldn't gain much from the usd fork.

If the forks are from a 96 I would consider doing the swap for that price. Otherwise hold onto your money and look for a later set if you really are out-riding the stock forks.

The USDs from the 90s all got bad reviews, for trail riding I would stick with stock forks and add emulator valves, or go for a good pair of conventional cartridge forks such as late eighies CR forks, late eighties thru 96 RM forks, 96 and on XR250 forks, and DRZ forks. The MX forks have more than 12" of travel so you may need to mod the rear travel to balance the bike.

If you're doing a lot of fast desert stuff then go for late model USDs.