Sign in to follow this  

FINALLY changed my 125L carb gasket

I got a used '05 TTR125L two years ago in the fall for my wife. I promptly parked it and it sat through the winter. She took an injury during that winter, so the bike sat through the following riding season. I tore it down to go through it at the end of that season to finally get it set up. I always tear my used bikes down to the frame and run through every bearing and fastener, so I got the chassis in good order, but went through hell cleaning out the carb. The choke slider was seized solid, and the bowl looked just like the inside of a geode. That's when I learned what fun it was to leave 10% ethanol gas in a bike for a year. Took me hours to get it clean enough to use again, but there is still (even now) green residue that wont come out of the metal. If that ever happens to me again, I'm buying a new carb.

I uncorked the bike and had already bought the jets I needed to re-jet, but unfortunately, the original carb bowl gasket disentegrated when I took the bowl off, and getting a new one meant a 2-week delay. I ordered the gasket, but wanted to get the bike going right away, so I carefully cut a perfect bowl gasket out of Bud Light 12-pack cardboard with an eX-acto knife. I gave the faux-gasket a light coating of grease (I do that with all of my gaskets) and installed it. This worked while I futzed with jetting for the day (I got the bike absolutely ripping - 99% of the folks that run these things are missing out).

I eventually got the new gasket, which proceeded to sit on my workbench for almost a year and a half now. I thought about changing out the gasket a hundred times, but the beer case gasket never leaked, so I wasn't in much of a rush. I finally broke down and stuffed it in last weekend.

Anybody who says you can't make good engine parts out of a Bud Light case is crazy.

JayC

• Like 1

I installed a jet kit and now after riding for about 1/2 hour, the bike heasitates when you throttle off idle. But up until then it works great. Any ideas?

I installed a jet kit and now after riding for about 1/2 hour, the bike heasitates when you throttle off idle. But up until then it works great. Any ideas?
Post a new topic, Chris. You'll get more traffic that way.
Anybody who says you can't make good engine parts out of a Bud Light case is crazy.
I gave you gas for that idea... thanks JayC. They say necessity is the mother of invention...:thumbsup:

-Kerry