Sign in to follow this  

Need WP Shock bleed/refil instructions

I rebuilt my WP shock but had to send it out to get it filled, bled and recharged since nobody around my area could do it. All they had to do was tighten the piston nuts, fill, insert piston assembly, bleed, and recharge.

In my haste to ship it out I left the spring adjusting ring laying on the workbench. Well, I got the shock back yesterday (19 days later) fully recharged and ready to go, except they put it together without the spring adjuster (I left the spring out to save weight and shipping charges). So now I'm screwed. It has to come apart again. I am disgusted with myself for forgetting to put it in the box, but I'm even more disgusted with this company because they assembled it without all the parts. I sent it to them because they are supposed to be the pros. They should have seen it was missing and gave me a call. I called him yesterday and he said he was busy picking up his kids and to call him on Thursday. Great, add another 2 days to whatever this is going to take.

Anyway, I am thinking of doing it myself now, instead of having the bike in pieces in the garage for another 3 weeks. Are there any good instructions out there for manually filling, bleeding and recharging this thing? Its from an 07 250 XCW. The service manual just had the process using the vacuum pump. If I can refill it and bleed it properly I was thinking of getting the nitrogen filling needle and bolt from race-tech and taking it to my local non-KTM dealer for a $5 nitrogen recharge.

Help!

you can fit them over, you use the bolt to push open the 2 halves and it will go over.

Which bolt are you talking about? I thought of trying to pry the ring open like that but, but when I saw that a new shock adjuster ring was over $60 I thought maybe I better not risk permanently bending it, and I also don't want to scratch the piston rod. Sometimes when i get an idea like that, something bad happens...and i end up regretting it.

yes but this is one case where its been tried many times and works, you put the tightening bolt through the opposite way, put a small piece of metal over the hole it normally goes into, then gently tighten it so it spreads the collor and it just goes over the clevis.

I measured the ID of the threads on the collar to be about 55.2mm and the OD of the clevis at 62.2mm. The gives a circumference of the threads of 173.4mm and of the clevis at 195.4mm. That means the collar would have to be open 22mm to get it past the clevis. That seems to be enough to permanantly deform the collar isn't it? Made me a little nervous so I didn't do it.

And the bolt isn't long enough so I'd have to get a longer one to try it.

I'd be pretty leary on the aluminum to break, but if mog says, he has tried it already a couple of times, you might give it a go.

But apart from that, what kind of dishwashers work in that company to assemble the shock with a missing part.

At least they should have given you a call to ask whether this is intended from your side.

ok, mistakes can happen, but that's a real tough one...

But apart from that, what kind of dishwashers work in that company to assemble the shock with a missing part.

At least they should have given you a call to ask whether this is intended from your side.

ok, mistakes can happen, but that's a real tough one...

That's what I thought. Yeah, I'm a little pissed.

I would try Mog's way before you try and dissassemble and bleed yourself. WP shocks are difficult to bleed and with a bleed pump you're likely to botch it by leaving air in it but some people do it with mixed results. If you insist on bleeding yourself, at least read this first. http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?act=ST&f=11&t=263325

I think its a bit rich of you to try and shift the blame to the tuner for your over sight.:)

Anyway, I would try this, discharge the nitrogen, place the shock upside down down in some shaft blocks and remove the clevis, then fit the preload ring being careful not to allow the shaft to move into the shock any, refit the clevis, charge and go.

maybe your clevis is bigger than the ones in the past, the old one was square i think and just a tad bigger than the collor, yes i do believe thats correct, the older clevis is different, sounds like a clevis off job, but then you wont be able to recharge the shock as the ktm system is a PIA.

I think its a bit rich of you to try and shift the blame to the tuner for your over sight.:)

I'm not trying to place blame. I feel like an ass for forgetting to put it in the box. But there is no way they are not responsible either...If I forgot to have one on the pistons there, would it have been ok for them to assemble the shock without it? NO...Well, the way I see it they assembled the shock without a critical part. A mistake on both parts.

Anyway, I ended up sending it back and hopefully it will all workout OK.