GG250 how to get more torque

Hi, I have a EC250 '08 model with LTR power valve cover, 13/50 gear ratio, jetted correctly, bike runs really good apart from the week low end. I also ride a DRZ with FCR and 440 kit. Whenever I get off my GG and ride my DRZ I always hear myself saying "wish my GG had the linear power from way down low to the rev limiter of my suzi". I'm ready to change the second piston(over 70 hrs) and was wondering if its worth going to a 300 conversion, or should I just tighten the squish and match the ports.

If youre going to change the piston anyway I dont see any reason not to go ahead and do the 300 conversion. I just got my EC250, but I really love it the way it is. I tried a 300 and 250 and decided that I liked the 250 better (seemed to rip up top a little more). The 300 has alot more down low though if that is what you are looking for...

Hi, I have a EC250 '08 model with LTR power valve cover, 13/50 gear ratio, jetted correctly, bike runs really good apart from the week low end. I also ride a DRZ with FCR and 440 kit. Whenever I get off my GG and ride my DRZ I always hear myself saying "wish my GG had the linear power from way down low to the rev limiter of my suzi". I'm ready to change the second piston(over 70 hrs) and was wondering if its worth going to a 300 conversion, or should I just tighten the squish and match the ports.

What the hell do you need more torque for, plan on towing a mobile souvlaki stand:lol: with the bike? Mmm souvlaki!

O.K. thanks for your replies, I love the way my 250 rips on top, I've ridden EXC 300s but didn't like the power delivery, no overrev, so I suppose the EC300 is the same, just signs off too early for my style. I have a #8 slide in right now(as suggested by widebear, thanks again) and the off-idle response is really good. I have tried the LTR needle which is OK for hot dry summer riding but currently have the standard N1EF with 42 and 178 Main. I suppose I'll just put in a .3mm base gasket instead of my current .5mm and ride on. Great bike both for hare scrambles and enduros.

My '06 EC300 has a very nice linear pull from just off idle to around 9000 RPM. (It has a factory pipe and tach/speedo). It will rev nicely to 10000+ RPM if I really want to make it sing.

The most objective power data I have seen to date on the GasGas 250/300 are the dyno curves on page 59 in the Aug 2008 issue of MotocrossDigital dot com. Comparing dry modes, the GG 300 makes peak power earlier and has a much more linear power curve than the GG 250. However, look at the high RPM range - the GG 300 produces more power than the GG 250 at any point above 8600 RPM. My takeaway - don't confuse the hit of the 250 with actual high RPM power.

Eric, so you suggest that the 300 will have a fairly linear power band and if it signs off at 10000 rpm thats approx. the same as the 250. So should I hit the gun?

I can't get the link on motocross digital, can anyone download it and put it on the site, it will be really nice to have such a comparison.

Dryz. One thing that jumps out in your o.p. is your use of the 50 rear sprocket, big no,no in my opinion and a mistake common to people coming off of other brands onto the gasser, did it myself. Now that you've got the jetting sorted try going back to a 48 or 49, I'm now using a 47 on the tightest of trails on a stock bike to very good effect. The lack of torque your describing may well be a lack of hit, relative to Jap two strokes. If you still want more torque a simple compression bump will do the trick also if you have the big flywheel ign you could remove the clutch cover and machine about 8 onze off of the removable crank bobweight, assuming your year still has it and a gnarly pipe will move the power down a couple of thousand rpm as well.Where the hell did all this snow come from and how did i get that dent in my pipe?

3clowns.jpg

Reply to Debi:

"I am so tempted to turn my GG into a SM :banghead: "

I'd say go for it. You won't be disappointed. ?

If you are not a member of SuperMotoJunkie this link may

not work.

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=41833&highlight=gasgas

I love my GG-SM. Although it sux as a dirt bike now.

Jeff

:banghead:

I am looking at getting the 17" wheels for mine right now:busted: and the 320mm rotor too:banana:

but not sure yet if I want to do it yet as I do have my DRZSM

02-15-09%20030.JPG

02-15-09%20029.JPG

But I think turning the BMW F650GS we have into a SM would be fun too:thumbsup: But I don't ride that one :foul:

Seeing the DRZ you obviously know what

SuperMoto is all about.

Unless you have another "dirt-only" bike.

I'd keep the GasGas EC250 as a dual sport

and SM the BMW.

The DRZ and BMW would be a much better

combination to ride together on anything longer

than a few dozen miles.

The GasGas is just a spunky little hooligan toy.

It's best feature is it's ability to plaster a stupid

looking grin across my face and keep it there.

I consider it a giggle machine.

EC250SM-21.jpg

If you do it. "Post the pictures!!!"

Jeff So. Cal.

Widebear, thanks.

I'll go down to a 48 (standard gearing) and see how it feels.

Actually I rode a 250 with a 49 last weekend and really liked the way that bike performed.

I've got a high compression head from the MC/SM. The squish band on this head is about 8mm wide compared to the 1.2mm of the standard EC head but I think the volume is less. Should I give it a try, although many tell me that that head increases the power in the upper revs and lowers the low down pull.

Concerning the bobweight, I think it was discontinued after 2004. Can I shave some weight of the heavy flywheel?

Thanks again and since you have helped me sorting out my jetting, I think you have great experience with these bikes.

Looking at the power curves from motocrossdigital I see what Kim means by a perfect linear increase of power for the 300 with health midrange while the 250 has that 2 stroke hit with just a bit of overrev. Makes me want that 300 conversion more!

Widebear, thanks.

I'll go down to a 48 (standard gearing) and see how it feels.

Actually I rode a 250 with a 49 last weekend and really liked the way that bike performed.

I've got a high compression head from the MC/SM. The squish band on this head is about 8mm wide compared to the 1.2mm of the standard EC head but I think the volume is less. Should I give it a try, although many tell me that that head increases the power in the upper revs and lowers the low down pull.

Concerning the bobweight, I think it was discontinued after 2004. Can I shave some weight of the heavy flywheel?

Thanks again and since you have helped me sorting out my jetting, I think you have great experience with these bikes.

Tough to shave weight of of the 3k if you can find someone to swap to the lighter 2k with your good to go , keep in mind your stator output will be reduced down to 30 watts, ive got to look more into that bobweight, i know they changed the shape in later years but not sure about the delete aspect, yours is 07? I also run a 49 on my mc, 47 on the ec. You might want to do a head swap to the mc head, can you do before and after comp readings? I just did a complete rebuild on my mc and have yet to ride it with the modified port timing setup so my comp #'s will be of no use.

Seeing the DRZ you obviously know what

SuperMoto is all about.

Unless you have another "dirt-only" bike.

I'd keep the GasGas EC250 as a dual sport

and SM the BMW.

The DRZ and BMW would be a much better

combination to ride together on anything longer

than a few dozen miles.

The GasGas is just a spunky little hooligan toy.

It's best feature is it's ability to plaster a stupid

BTW, I will be in CA or SoCal in late May

looking grin across my face and keep it there.

I consider it a giggle machine.

EC250SM-21.jpg

If you do it. "Post the pictures!!!"

Jeff So. Cal.

Nice bike:banana:

I know the GasGas will be like a short ride only type bike but wow, just the thought of a 250 SM that has a 6th sounds so naughty:blush:

But I think I will look for another one first before I try it:thumbsup:

BTW, how did you get it legal in CA? Was it licensed like mine was already when you bought it?

Oh yes, I will be in SoCal in late May and I am planning a ride on Memorial weekend at some Malibu canyon with another Thumpette:thumbsup:

Debi wrote:

BTW, how did you get it legal in CA? Was it licensed like mine was already when you bought it?

Oh yes, I will be in SoCal in late May and I am planning a ride on Memorial weekend at some Malibu canyon with another Thumpette

------------------

It began life as a racer in Ca., first overhaul, it gained lights wiring harness,

larger tank etc... and moved to Colorado for a year or so and got it's plate.

When it returned to Ca. I became it's owner and transfered the Co. plate

to a Ca. one. It has had a plate since 2001 or 2002 there abouts.

------

Post a PM before you get down here and maybe my GF and I can meet

ya'all for a ride to (around) the Rock Store.

Jeff

Debi wrote:

Oh yes, I will be in SoCal in late May and I am planning a ride on Memorial weekend at some Malibu canyon with another Thumpette

------------------

It began life as a racer in Ca., first overhaul, it gained lights wiring harness,

larger tank etc... and moved to Colorado for a year or so and got it's plate.

When it returned to Ca. I became it's owner and transfered the Co. plate

to a Ca. one. It has had a plate since 2001 or 2002 there abouts.

------

Post a PM before you get down here and maybe my GF and I can meet

ya'all for a ride to (around) the Rock Store.

Jeff

Sounds good ?

Yes I think it is the rock store we are going to. You probably have met her. She rides a yellow DRZ and her name here is Sun:thumbsup: