Sign in to follow this  

STUPID QUESTION....advanced apology.

Can a 125 (or 250F) jump as high and far as a 250 (or 450F)? I'm always seeing these people flying through the air 3 stories high and I'm wondering if there is a BIG (or minor) difference in this kind of performance?

Jump Height would be determined by several different factors (suspension, body position etc..) but the biggest would be pure speed.

So your answer could be yes and no. 450F can clear bigger obstacles and has more torque to accelerate up jump faces out of a corner, but the same could be acheived if they were both hitting the jump at the same speed.

It's simple physics, if a 250F and a 450F are traveling at the exact same speed, hitting the exact same jump, and lets just say they both weight the exact same, they will both fly just as far and high equally. Now, if you place this jump take off 5 feet from a corner, the bike that is accellerating at a higher velocity will be going quicker at take off, therefor flying higher and further. The weight difference between a 250F and a 450F is quite minor, so you could say the flight path would be approximately the same.

So basically, it depends on the speed the bike is hitting the jump take off at.

But I though 450's made people faster/better riders???:)

intense said it pretty well. jumps have little to do with power, but speed and rider skill. Sure, a 450 is usually able to accelerate quicker out of a turn, but bigger bore bikes don't jump higher/farther as a rule.