Sign in to follow this  

xr200 transmission difficult to get into second gear

I'm looking at buying a xr200 from a friend. The only issue is that when the engine is very warm, it can be difficult to get the bike into second gear.

Is this a shifting fork issue (known issue?) If so, approximately how much would parts cost to fix it.

He wants $700.

Any feedback is welcome.

I am also looking for a xr250 or crf250 for myself. ( I will look in the classifieds)

RookerB:thumbsup:

The shifting fork could be bent or worn but it also likely caused by wear on the star wheel (easy fix). Usually star wheel problems involve more than one gear, not a single gear like a fork. Also worn shifting dogs on the gears can also cause engagement problems. If it is the fork or worn gear dogs you will need to pull the engine and split the cases, at that point I would consider a complete rebuild. Star wheel replacement can be done with the engine in the bike.

I've found engine oil also has an impact on shifting and clutch operation, especially when the engine gets very hot. Inspite of all the opinions regarding MC oils I've found the best shifting and clutch operation is when I run Shell Rotello T, not the Honda oil or automotive oil. And I change every other ride.

The problem could be a combination of all four and changing oil and the star wheel could buy you some time, or not. But they are cheap and easy so should be done before diving into the tranny.

Hi Chuck,

I am waiting for the bike information and will let you know.

Thanks for the insights to possible issues.

RookerB