Sign in to follow this  

Is this going to get me stranded? [pics] Lighting Stator

I am not an electronics guys and I need your opinion + real world experience.

I bought a lighting stator for my bike. I ride in the desert Utah/Nevada... I need a reliable bike! When I started looking at my new stator the quality was rather questionable in my opinion. The factory unit is very high quality Japanese part.. I notice this aftermarket unit is Marked "Made in China" and appears to be hastily built.. Yet it was fairly expensive:bonk:

If one of these wires breaks will I lose my ignition? Should they be covered with epoxy or something!?!

stator3.jpg

stator1.jpg

stator2.jpg

I wonder what you can't see under all those windings.

Well, the nicks are definitely a bad thing. Depending on the coil design/your bike, when the coil goes, either your lights go out, the bike stops running or both. You get what you pay for a lot of the time. There are places that can rewind and do a quality job.

I went through three of those in 10 hours of riding on my street legal rm250 the first two came from electrosport (also known as "electrex") and then on the third one i ordered a moose one, and when that one also falied and left me stranded on the side of the freeway i called the tech support # it looked like the same number, and when a called it........what do you know it said "thank you for calling electrosport"

never again

I went through three of those in 10 hours of riding on my street legal rm250 the first two came from electrosport (also known as "electrex") and then on the third one i ordered a moose one, and when that one also falied and left me stranded on the side of the freeway i called the tech support # it looked like the same number, and when a called it........what do you know it said "thank you for calling electrosport"

never again

Electrosport are the biggest crooks is the league:prof:

+1 on never again

if you want a lighting coil that is not going to leave you stranded check out a eline. There are well worth the money and the quaility is top notch.

Trailtech stators have good reputations.

FWIW, There's a guy on another site who carries an extra stator when on long trails.

I hand wire my own stators. The picture you have looks even worse than most of the total trash I see coming out of Electrosport.

Send it back to whomever you got it from and get a unit from Ricky Stator.

Send it back. Then get a Ricky, or Trailtech, or wind your own. A little forum search and you will find some very good info on rewinding stators.

Here is a link with some very good info on stator rewinding.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189734

Rick Stator (very nice people) - Unit not offered for my bike

Trail Tech - No unit offered

Baja Designs - Unit not offered and they referred me to Electrosport

I have yet to find any real world info on rewinding a factory stator that was already fully wound like the unit on my bike 03 CR250R.

My neighbor kid has an 03 CR also with the same problem. I would epoxy all the windings and go ahead and install it. If it fails then you have a unit you can properly rewind.

There's few options for your machine. I've been told you can hand rewind the factory stator and "might" get up to 40 watts, not much.