Sign in to follow this  

How much of a difference does a good port job give you?

I have a 2008 yz250f and ride beginner class in Florida. Trust me, beginner class on my track is not beginner at all. I have been riding mx for almost 2 years and the track that I ride at is a very big and is an ALL sand mx track. I am at the point that I feel that I need more power. On a few corners my bike will bog down because of the sand but if i downshift, im super reved out and not going any faster.My bike is all stock except for fmf 4.1 slip, Dunlop 756 front and Michalin Starcross2 back, and Enzo suspension revalve. If I get a port job, will it be worth the money? When porting, do u have to compromise between top end and bottom end power? I guess i need more bottom end power but I really dont want to lose any top. Thanks for advice.

WOT the whole track? sounds like pro class to me.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking when i wrote that.:)

I have a 2008 yz250f and ride beginner class in Florida. Trust me, beginner class on my track is not beginner at all. I have been riding mx for almost 2 years and the track that I ride at is a very big and is an ALL sand mx track. I am at the point that I feel that I need more power. On a few corners my bike will bog down because of the sand but if i downshift, im super reved out and not going any faster.My bike is all stock except for fmf 4.1 slip, Dunlop 756 front and Michalin Starcross2 back, and Enzo suspension revalve. If I get a port job, will it be worth the money? When porting, do u have to compromise between top end and bottom end power? I guess i need more bottom end power but I really dont want to lose any top. Thanks for advice.

your not a beginner if your WOT sounds like your d class sandbagger if you are :) what you need to do is try changing your gearing to different ratios..note to self riding trottle wide open with the clutch in with it banging off the limiter doesnt mean you need more power cause i highly doubt you need anymore power you feel the power when you let off that clutch:smirk: ...but i dont know you could be the next stewart...plus in the sand i stay in high revs just because the rear tire is spinning freely lol...and ask sunruh if he noticed a difference in the port job i think he got one he said it freakin ripped....

your not a beginner if your WOT sounds like your d class sandbagger if you are :) what you need to do is try changing your gearing to different ratios..note to self riding trottle wide open with the clutch in with it banging off the limiter doesnt mean you need more power cause i highly doubt you need anymore power you feel the power when you let off that clutch:smirk: ...but i dont know you could be the next stewart...plus in the sand i stay in high revs just because the rear tire is spinning freely lol...and ask sunruh if he noticed a difference in the port job i think he got one he said it freakin ripped....

I made a mistake writing that and im not some riding noob. I wish I could even get top 5 in the races so im NOT a sandbagger. I already have a 50t sprocket on the back.

I hear what your saying, 95% of the D, and C class racers are really B class. I race sand 100% of the time and more power helps you more when your less skilled than when your an A class rider. Top riders can fly around corners like they are in a video game and not loose speed. The rest of us b class and under goons end up having to use power to get out of corners. There is no doubt about it that some professional motor work will help. Have you thought about sending Jesse over at Williamsmotowerx a message? Give him a ball park of what your willing to spend, send him your stuff, he will inspect it, then tell you what the best route is to go with the money your willing to spend.

• Like 1

I hear what your saying, 95% of the D, and C class racers are really B class. I race sand 100% of the time and more power helps you more when your less skilled than when your an A class rider. Top riders can fly around corners like they are in a video game and not loose speed. The rest of us b class and under goons end up having to use power to get out of corners. There is no doubt about it that some professional motor work will help. Have you thought about sending Jesse over at Williamsmotowerx a message? Give him a ball park of what your willing to spend, send him your stuff, he will inspect it, then tell you what the best route is to go with the money your willing to spend.

I have been thinking about that but Im in high school so its hard to get lots of money. Thanks 4 the advice.

a GOOD port job is worth the money, it will get you way more than any full exhaust system for the same money. i just got mine back for Jesse at williams motorwerx, and i can tell you, you wont loose any power on the bottom. mine pulls hard from low to high. save your money and call Jesse!

honestly I think a stock bike shuold work just fine for you.

Bikes from the factory are already pretty dang good.

Yamaha's from the factory IMO have no low end wats so ever. They fail and bog. Get your carbed worked on and jetted. im not sure if the new bikes are better but the 06 and 07 i have rode man they just bog low end.