Sign in to follow this  

Spinning rivet nut on subframe of XR650R, HELP!

I recently purchased an 02 BRP, and when I began to tear it down I noticed the rivet nut on the right side number plate was spinning. So I'm pretty much stuck, and am going to have a hell of a time getting the bolt out. Any ideas on a repair for this, will I even be able to replace this rivet nut? I'm worried the hole will be to enlarged from spinning to install a new one. I've considered driling a small hole and filling in around it with JB Weld to see if it will lock up the nut in there now. I'll probably bust the old number plat off to see if I can get that bolt loosened off atleast.

I recently purchased an 02 BRP, and when I began to tear it down I noticed the rivet nut on the right side number plate was spinning. So I'm pretty much stuck, and am going to have a hell of a time getting the bolt out. Any ideas on a repair for this, will I even be able to replace this rivet nut? I'm worried the hole will be to enlarged from spinning to install a new one. I've considered driling a small hole and filling in around it with JB Weld to see if it will lock up the nut in there now. I'll probably bust the old number plat off to see if I can get that bolt loosened off atleast.

Is there any way you can give me a pic or 2?? I am afraid i am having a little trouble envisioning what is going on here without it. Call me a "special" kid.. lol..

Let's see it..

This is an "all the time thing". I have drilled right next to the nut from the bottom side, just enough to "clip" the spinning nut with a 1/8" drill, then place a pop rivet there. The problem is not drilling into the threads on the spinning nut but, still close enough that the pop rivet will work like a chock when you try to turn it.

• Like 1

road toad, I'll see about some photo's tonight. The rivet nut is what's imbedded into the subframe to thread the bolts into. There are also 2 where the rear fender attaches, and probably several more on the subframe. I'm guessing the hole enlarges due to dissimilar metals, or someone overtightening the bolts and spinning them.

BWB, thanks for the tip, have you ever considered replacing the nut or getting a rivet nut tool to tighten down the nut and flare it out more? Sounds like it may be tricky trying to get the pop rivet in the right place, I don't want a swiss cheese subframe!

those inserts are prolly pinched and thats how they tighten down, ive used some in tanks like this and at home, what you can try is hold the insert with some pliers or vice grips and use a bolt, if you can tighten the bolt down where it hits the face and try and tighten some it may pinch the insert some more and hold it tighter on the aluminum. Kinda hard to explain but they pinch against the inside as they are compressed they swell a ring around the inside of the aluminum

Using a pop rivet is not that hard to do. The expanded nut in the frame is about a half inch (12mm) in the frame and you don't had to be all the way to one side of it ether. Drill till the bit wants to walk once it hits the hard mettel on the nut. Then put your pop rivet in.

I called the local main rivet supplier in town, they said they'd try tightening it down but don't have any of the tools on display or open box. They recommended to go to any autobody place to see if they can snug it up a bit, I may have a go at that if I can't figure out a way to tighten it more myself. May be the simplest/cleanest solution, otherwise I'll try your idea BWB63.

Well a store gave me a few spare riv nuts for free, so I was able to air grind the old one off, and let it drop into the subframe. Next I had to enlarge the hole for the new riv nuts, as they were larger and of higher quality. Then I used a bolt, nut, and stack of washers. I threaded it in and then tightened up the nut which mushrromed the riv nut. This took two tries as the washer on the riv nut side was at first to big and when it was tightened, it actually sucked it through the washer. So jobs done, but I have two riv nuts lingering in my subframe haha.

LOL sometimes tightening those are a PITA but glad your good to go now