Sign in to follow this  

bleeding brakes

ok... what gives... i've bleed the brakes a half dozen times now. I can get a real good lever or peddle... for like day. I did it yesterday and had a peddle like a rock. Best i've ever felt... today it would go till it hit the frame. the front seems to be holding steady at a little above crap. It defiantly seems to have air in it someplace but I can't get it out to save my life. That one was great for a while too... not so much any more. Anyone have a tip or trick for this? I'm using the syring with the hose trick to get the bleed. I really want to get this right since to get the freaking cover off the rear reservoir i need to take off the fender and most of the exhaust.

Are you pushing the fluid with the syringe backwards through the system? Also make sure the back brake rod is not partially compressing the master cylinder. I take the brake pedal and rod completely off to make sure the cylinder is free. Hope that helps.

Alright... would explain why i had an issue back bleeding it at first... won't explain why i lose the bleed though... on the front i just was able to make the lines tighter... no torque wrench nore specs... so i just got them really good and tight. i was shocked how much they moved.

You need play between the master cylinder piston pushrod and the lever. You must allow the piston to come all the way out, and then still have play.

On the front, give this a try...

Pull the lever in and then wrap a rubber band around it and the grip and leave it for the night. Next morning whatever is in there seems to work up through the line and out the master cylinder.

I know, I know but really this has worked twice for me. :)

Alright, i'll give all that stuff a shot. I need to check them today which i will when i get home. if the front didn't get any worse i'll be happy.