Sign in to follow this  

asking for sponsorship??

im goin to be asking a few private business's to sponsor me. what should i do?. just ask or type sum papers up with info??

:)

Will you be asking businesses that have a history of sponsoring racers? I definitely do not think it would hurt to have some stats typed up from last year and possibly what you expect to accomplish this year.

i used to work in the snowboard industry and the kids that got sponsored by us usually had a video biography of themselves ripping and a typed up resume of past events they entered, how they placed, finishing position for the series, invitationals participated in, and most importantly which events they planned to participate in during the next season. this gives the potential sponsor an idea of you professionalism and an idea of the exposure they could get from you. you need to have an idea of what you want from them, what kind of support would be most beneficial to you meeting your goals. also give a 3-5 year plan of how you would like to see your career progress. be professional when drawing up the plan and when dealing with the businesses, because you are asking them to enter a business arrangement with you and hand over products or cash which comes out of their bottom line. hope this helps

I gotta talk to one of my team's riders but it sounds like we are getting hooked up with tropical smoothie.

Some business that you would never think would surprise you. You just ask next thing you know the owner is talking to you about how they ride and race too.

The worst they can say is no and you just move on.

There are two kinds of business people who will sponsor you. One is like the guy above who likes bikes, and just wants to be involved. These are probably very rare and not more that a few bucks.

Then there is a guy like the president of Acme Widgets. He has an advertising budget that he uses to sell widgets. You can get some of that if you can show him how sponsoring you will sell more widgets.

Your whole proposal has to be aimed at selling widgets. How are you going to help him do that? Are you and your bike going to be available for display and autograph signing at stores that sell Acme Widgets? Is your trailer going to look like a rolling Acme Widget billboard going down the road? Will the company be promoted on your website?

So basically getting sponsorship just because you want to race and have someone else pay for it is a pipe dream.

Your proposal has to be heavy on what you can do for them, and not so much on what they can do for you.

Jay