IT'S LIVE! Full Review 2019 Honda CRF450L!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

How to clean inside of my FMF Fatty Pipe?? Also how to clean air box

Yup thats right I have a lot of oil leaking out prolly less than a table spoon. I would like to clean it out and get all the oil out of there before I put my bike back together. Any ideas?? I tried soap and water but I dont think its getting through the oil.

Also I have a lot of the oil from the air filter in the bottom of my air box and I would like to get it out but after scrubbing that stuff is like GLUE!!!!!!!!!!

I will from now on only use spray air filter oil.

Try using some PJ1 Air Filter Oil Remover spray. It is for the air filter, but it takes it off of other stuff pretty good. Brake and part cleaner might take it off if that doesn't work.

simple green will do the trick pretty easy, just let it soak in the airbox (while removed) for about 3 or 4 minutes and then use a scrubber sponge and prepare to get dirty!

Simple Green won't touch that crud. Straight Purple Power will clean out the airbox and should get all the oil out of the pipe. Just make sure you wear gloves.

^ no no, it will indeed...i know cause i just remove 1/2 inch of it with simple green (no dilouted)...it actually came out pretty easy too

I bought purple power like a week ago. I will try that first then if that dont work I will try simple green. I have also heard oven cleaner might work on the fatty pipe!???

Simple Green won't touch that crud. Straight Purple Power will clean out the airbox and should get all the oil out of the pipe. Just make sure you wear gloves.

I gotta some what agree with alpo but however your still gonna have to use good ol elbow grease LOL goodluck bro.

haha im telling ya s. g. will clean that airbox up just as good as anything...the pipe i dont know about, thats why i only commented on the airbox

I haven't tried Simple Green straight, only 50/50 with water. I'll try it straight the next time and see what it can do. Purple Power is pretty strong stuff, even diluted - it will make your hands feel weird.

acetone

Sure you can use acetone but wear gloves and dont rub your eyes afterwards LMFAO:lol:.......

acetone

:)

Be really careful with acetone around plastics. It can eat the plastic in a hurry. Mineral spirits and a stiff brush will get the gunk out of the airbox.

Please explain how acetone is any worse to plastic as it's used all the time as an oxygenation agent though out of favor at the moment because you can't get it cheaply as in 55gal drums due to the meth epidemic. It's no worse on plastic or at least on plastic or rubber which actually is made to hold gasoline. Sure, if you spill down the side of your tank, it may remove stickers, but gasoline does that, too, and if you stabil or similar stabilizers for winter storage, guess what the chem is which keeps the fuel from gumming up?

Don't take my word for it - try it on your own plastic. Let us know how well it works for you. Pictures would be nice. :)

Yea, I need to send you pictures for a method which has been used for years as was said and nobody has a problem with it except somebody who hasn't done it. If you hold your breath those pictures will soon be there! An option has been suggested, try it or work harder but to engage you in such banter when you haven't done it is useless. But let's banter about the putting acetone one a pipe and change it to plastic which at any point depending on the type of plastic, any solvent such as gasoline, turpentine, etc will destroy the plastic. The discussion was about metal and acetone and you just want to stir up trouble by changing the subject though maybe your bike is made of polystyrene and milk jug plastic? Acetone is sold in plastic bottles, ie, nail polish remover and I'm under no obligation to prove anything to you regarding a digression as Acetone is used to make plastic, is present in vehicle exhaust, and nobody suggested wiping it or gasoline or any solvent on your plastic, and now we wait for the anger to fly.

Good day.

Who says I haven't done it? How do you think I know not to do it?

You make claims about stuff - back it up. Rub some acetone on your plastic. Take before and after pictures. If you're not willing to do that to back up your claims, shut up.

Stop posting bad advice. If you want to be a trouble maker, take it somewhere else.

to clean your pipe take it off, throw some nuts and bolts in there and some gasoline...shake it all about...(do this repeatedly until satisfied) and thats what its all about..

Gasoline is a great solvent. I used to almost bathe in it when I was a kid - every dirty part was cleaned with gas. It's not good for you, though, so wear gloves.