Sign in to follow this  

Replacing Crankcase cover

So I have my bike at school with me and some drunk kids thought it would be fun to tip it over. Sadly I did not have any crankcase covers on it so the shifter lever made a nice gouge in the side. My question is, could someone give me a link to a write up to replace this part? I gave a quick look around and couldnt find anything.

Thank you in advance

:)

I'm of no help but wanted to say sorry to hear about this. I'd be some kind of PO'ed, and beyond frustrated at not being able to find who did it.

Tell me about it. It pissed me off so much. At first I thought they just broke my turn signal but then I started it up and oil started shooting everywhere.

follow the wires from the stator & unplug

snake wires thru frame so they are free to remove with the cover

remove the shift lever

remove the starter drive gear cover(3 phillips screws/round cover) - must use a hammer type impact tool

this cover will require some finesse - spin it so you can grab the ears & pull it off pay - pay attention to washers, sleeves & there orientation, there's 1 washer & one sleeve & the end of the shaft inside

remove the shift lever

remove the 8 ea. bolts that hold the side cover on, including the one behind the starter drive gear cover

pull the stator cover off

swap stator from old cover to new cover. pay attention to how the wires are oriented

clean & dry all bolts for stator & it's clamps & use red locktite on assembly

you can also do the starter clutch locktite fix while your in there

if you don't want to drain the oil, lean the bike against a wall to the right

no new gaskets are normally needed for this job

• Like 1

Well thank you very much. Weather permitting I will do this this weekend.

Hopefully I will have my bike up and running so I can do those much needed repairs on my Jeep.

God I hate being poor...

Ok repair is done but now the bike wont hold a charge. I jumped it and the speedo just keeps flashing. The battery is only a few months old. is it possible that its already dead from not starting my bike for 2 months?

Yes it is very possible, the stock batteries are crap, min3 died on me after having my bike for only 5 weeks, i suspect the battery was faulty in the first place. I got a new one and it's been doing fine since.