Sign in to follow this  

Turn Signal Switch XL650R

I have a 1997 XL650R that I am new too.

Very new to motorcycles, I just got my Mcycle Permit today.

I've noticed that the turn signal switch works but I'm not sure how it should go back after you use the L/R signal.

Are you to push it back to the middle or press it? I just notice that this one acts like it wants to stick in place and not move back to the middle off position.

Is there anything I can do to help it work correctly and smoothly?

Hopefully I explained the problem clearly:bonk:

take it apart, i did on my L and it was kinda dirty. Cleaned up all the dirt and worked it a tad and was alot smoother. Mine you press and it retracts back to center, would think a 97 should also.

• Like 1

So you didn't spray any lub or such ...

When you cleaned it, what came out of it? Does it just gum up after time?

I bought this bike last fall and rode it a few times out at my in laws farm place and since then it's been stored all winter. However, now that I got my permit I plan on riding in town so I can get ready to take my final test to get my Mcycle endorsement.

when i took it off its two half circles, on the inside where it clamps to the bars it was a metal piece that had a screw holding it. Took that off and it opened up the inside of switch, held it upside down and nothing flew out. Another screw to hold the turn switch and removed that and cleaned with a rag. I did put a little dielectric grease on it as now ive taken apart once i know its simple and easy to do once a year and keep it clean and working smoothly

I have a 1997 XL650R that I am new too.

Very new to motorcycles, I just got my Mcycle Permit today.

I've noticed that the turn signal switch works but I'm not sure how it should go back after you use the L/R signal.

Are you to push it back to the middle or press it? I just notice that this one acts like it wants to stick in place and not move back to the middle off position.

Is there anything I can do to help it work correctly and smoothly?

Hopefully I explained the problem clearly:bonk:

when your signal is on... blinking... to stop it.. (center it) ... just push it..

Thanks guys - I took it apart, cleaned it all out, and then put it back together with some dielectric and it's all good now. Works smoothly, I presume it had not been cleaned in a very long time.