4th,5th,6th gear similar?

I'd be sticking a in new set of plates first off for sure, check basket for grooves while you're in there but the symptoms of basket wear are normally the opposite of what you are experiencing, ie clutch not engaging fully.

Check cable adjustment first!! What oil are you running and when was it changed??

I just bought an IRC VE-33 rear and am very impressed with it for the price ($85 Aus, fitted), it's wearing well too.

Its pretty straightforward but buy a manual for your bike if you havent done it before.

Similar problems here: https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=757446

Have a look and see what you find.

You should be able to lay the bike over on its side and pull the clutch cover without loosing your oil, remove clutch plates as an assembly, noting order and pattern you took them out. Now have a look at friction plates for wear and steel plates for distortion (I use a glass pane and feeler gauges to check this), see if any grooves are worn in the basket they are seated in and carefully file any found flat while trying to keep filings out of engine!!

You really should be checking against specs in manual to find what parts are serviceable and what you should replace, the other option is to buy all new plates, take old ones out and out new ones in. Job done!!

Good luck!! ?

Thank you very much. What plates do you have experience with? There is the Barnett kit which is the most expensive, then there is the ebc kit, and driven is the cheapest at like 50 bucks. They all got good reviews. Except the Barnett also had a good amount of people that didn't have good luck with them.

Spend as much as you want/can. ebc seem to wear pretty well IMO. You can get kevlar or carbon fibre if you're really keen!

Check some reviews out and try and get a general concensus. I just got what I could but seem ok.

Check out ATF fluid opinions too and make your own opinion, I don't use it but thousands swear by it. It can make a difference.

i use mopar ATF+4....I work at a Dodge dealership so I get it for free...I have been using it in my bikes since I first started riding. I bought a bike that the owner said needed a clutch. A good friend and very good rider told me to try ATF in the trans...I put the ATF in the transmission and the clutch never slipped and was very manageable when feathering it. I never did get around to changing that clutch...when I sold the bike the new owner probably still has the same fluid in it. I run it in all my 4 strokes as well as long as they have a split case between engine and transmission..

Atf might do the trick, but to me it's a band aid.

I would inspect the clutch assembly for wear including the bearings.

I currently use a standard EBC Dirtracer clutch kit and it works great. I have heard great things about Tusk clutch kits, but they are only available through rocky mountain.