Sign in to follow this  

Squeezing the bike in air: IMO wrong.

Every so often i catch a post and people say squeeze the bike with your legs in the air.

I feel you should be relaxed in the air and have your body move to control your bike and such.

I am relaxed which allows me to maneuver my body when jump. Watch the pros and such im sure you will see it to. There is a lot of feet off the pegs and knees bending slightly.

Im not saying you dont control the bike with your legs cause you do. And you will push them against the bike to move it but to just go off a jump and squeeze is not proper at all. Unless i have the wrong picture in my mind of what everyone is talking about.

that or i do squeeze the bike just not as like hard as im thinking people are saying.

On the ground you want to have strong legs cause when the bike wants to kick around you want to keep that bike inbettwen your legs. so there i would say your squeezing.

Jumps if you go off the face correctly you should have a smooth body motion and shouldn't have to really squeeze the bike unless you got cross rutted.

I think you shouldn't just squeeze for no reason. You should be relaxed and when you feel the bike wants to move on you, you use ur legs to control it. which can involve squeezing.

Jumps are your time to relax and slow ur heart rate down a bit. Unless you trying to scrub or its a jump where you really have to work your bike. Most jumps at tracks though you can relax a lot on.

No Squeeze:

http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq343/thabreeze125/1-4.jpg

Squeeze:

http://www.starvingracers.com/assets/files/racers/20221/29449.jpg

Every so often i catch a post and people say squeeze the bike with your legs in the air.

Correct

I feel you should be relaxed in the air and have your body move to control your bike and such.

No matter how much you move if you are connected to the bike by loose joints(wrist, ankles) then you will not have any impact on the bike. Unless you death grip the bars or push down/pull up on the bars you won't move it at all.

I am relaxed which allows me to maneuver my body when jump. Watch the pros and such im sure you will see it to. There is a lot of feet off the pegs and knees bending slightly.

You can maneuver your body but not your bike. You need to be able to maneuver both. That's because they are whipping or scrubbing. When they do that, they initiate it by turning the bars and by twisting their body into it -while gripping with their legs- This puts the bike on a pre-determined flight path. But they are still pulling in with that leg thats off the peg when it's time. You can bend you knees and grip at the same time.

Im not saying you dont control the bike with your legs cause you do. And you will push them against the bike to move it but to just go off a jump and squeeze is not proper at all. Unless i have the wrong picture in my mind of what everyone is talking about.

Let's say there is a kicker. If you ghost ride your bike off the jump your bike is going to flip. But with you are on there it is going to be more controlled. The greater the connection to you and the bike the more controlled it's going to be.

that or i do squeeze the bike just not as like hard as im thinking people are saying.

Common mistakes people make are:

1. They stiffen their knees trying to grip. or

2. The stay loose at the hips. When they lean forward nothing happens, because exactly that, they are leaning forward. Big deal. You must stay stiff so that the forward force of you goes through your into body and therefore reaching the bike. You must stay stiff at the hips to have proper control over the bike.

On the ground you want to have strong legs cause when the bike wants to kick around you want to keep that bike inbettwen your legs. so there i would say your squeezing.

Correct

Jumps if you go off the face correctly you should have a smooth body motion and shouldn't have to really squeeze the bike unless you got cross rutted.

Like I said earlier, take the example of the kicker. If you get crossed rutted it's too late.

I think you shouldn't just squeeze for no reason. You should be relaxed and when you feel the bike wants to move on you, you use ur legs to control it. which can involve squeezing.

There is all the reason in the world to squeeze; unless you are gooning.

Jumps are your time to relax and slow ur heart rate down a bit. Unless you trying to scrub or its a jump where you really have to work your bike. Most jumps at tracks though you can relax a lot on.

Correct. And that's exactly why you use your entire body and leverage to easily move the bike rather than to man power it with a death grip.

• Like 1

i never squeeze with my legs, ive tried and it just seems to slow me down. I know it is an accepted technique but it never helps me. Ive never had any lessons so im sure i just don't know the proper time to use this technique - so my question is, and its probably a dumb question to most of you, is when will squeezing help me?

It helps when ur turning but thats not a squeeze its a push with one leg and when l get the pump ill hold on tighter with the legs!!!!

It helps when ur turning but thats not a squeeze its a push with one leg and when l get the pump ill hold on tighter with the legs!!!!

agreed i think its more of strong legs then squeezing. You tend to push it with the leg/legs to control the bike in the turn and swaping out conditions.

In whoops, really rough sections and such yes keep a good pressure/squeeze on the bike but don't over do it. It comes to when you start to slide or whatevr you squeeze more. But no off this 'squeezing' I really see any benefit in air unless the lip bucked you.