Sign in to follow this  

My new Ride

Got it a week ago 85 xr600r, did a little clean up and ordered some new number plate stickers and a supertrapp pipe.

xr600.jpg

haha yes, i really like the look of the 85-87 models more. and they really didnt change much over the years. this one had low hours and hasnt been registered for the trails since 92! smokes a bit on startup, but goes away once it warms up a little. always starts in 1 or 2 kicks, im pretty happy with it so far

I just put some hours on mine Sunday, it may be old but it's a beast! It's really fun to blast around on.

20081227-2.jpg

i dont really care for the dual carbs and the drum brakes. not any options for jet kits, and the brakes sometimes make noise first few stops. other then that the bike has good power and they are bullet proof engines. my digital speedo even works :)

I don't really mind either the drum brake or the dual carbs because they both seem to be doing their jobs just fine.

I'd like to swap to a single carb and new airbox / intake so I could use a more modern rear shock with out the remote gas bottle. That means swapping out the head though :) .

I suppose it will just have to stay stock, it is a good bike for trails. I'm not doing any big jumps anyway. Maybe sometime I'll send out the old shock for a rebuild with a new spring.

i dont really care for the dual carbs and the drum brakes. not any options for jet kits, and the brakes sometimes make noise first few stops. other then that the bike has good power and they are bullet proof engines. my digital speedo even works :)

Look at it on the bright side! My old SL made it nearly 40 years before it needed a set of brake shoes. Discs could never have claimed that!! lol.. If drums were that bad, they wouldn't still be using them on 18 wheelers. Maximum surface area, baby!

If the twin carbs are working good, don't knock it. My old SL's carbs have an attitude most of the time- I think they hate ethanol and unleaded gas. Liek the old man used to say... "Don't fix what isn't broke, boy!! " lol.. :banghead: :banghead: :foul: