Sign in to follow this  

Do i need a case splitter?

Cant i just hit the case really hard with a hammer (unnecessary damage?)? or stick a screwdriver in there and jerk it around (scratch mating surfaces?)? i bought a bunk yamaha PW-80 and i think the crank bearings are toast, so what do you think? should i just go for the breakfast method and crack it like an egg on my workbench? if i do buy a case splitter is it universal fitment? i've got a yz, wr, and other bikes.

I dont mistreat my other engines like i do the PussyWagon-80 but i've been beginning to notice that not all OEM tools are completely necessary.

If you do buy one buy the one that has several different bolts and not the one that has the three jaws on one pivot. The one pivot model makes you have 3 different lengths of bolts to pull with.

Here's a link to the type of puller I use: http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/otc7403.html

You'll probably have to make a trip to the local hardware store to get the proper size/length of metric bolt to screw into the cases. Do not use a hammer or screwdriver if you expect it to ever run again.

I split the case on a ds80 here recently with the hammer/screwdriver method. I was carefull to not mess up any surfaces though. Went back together fine and there arent any air leaks or transmission fluid leaks. Its up to you because it is risky

I bought a Tusk crankcase splitter just because it makes it so easy. However I had one stubborn case that broke one of the arms off and I had to weld it, the dowel pins seized into the case.:)

Cant i just hit the case really hard with a hammer (unnecessary damage?)? or stick a screwdriver in there and jerk it around (scratch mating surfaces?)? i bought a bunk yamaha PW-80 and i think the crank bearings are toast, so what do you think? should i just go for the breakfast method and crack it like an egg on my workbench? if i do buy a case splitter is it universal fitment? i've got a yz, wr, and other bikes.

I dont mistreat my other engines like i do the PussyWagon-80 but i've been beginning to notice that not all OEM tools are completely necessary.

I've split a case with a rubber mallet. Just be as gentle as possible...of course, the right tool is always better.

I'm pretty sure Rocky Mtn. ATV sells the Tusk version for like $60.